Chapter 31

The people of this place had noticed us. There was then an exchange of more gunfire. Shooting from all directions seemed to have been taking place. We all covered one another.

"Behind you!" Daryl called to me as he fired.

"Go! Get cover! Get there!" Rick yelled.

We all ran across the street. We hid behind the wall of a brick building.

"How many?" Rick asked.

"I didn't see," Oscar replied.

"Doesn't matter. There's gonna be more of 'em. We need to move," Daryl said.

I stood next to Glenn. We needed to get him to safety. And fast.

"Any grenades left?" Rick asked Daryl.

"Uh-huh," he replied.

"Get 'em ready. We gotta gun into the wall," Rick said.

There was some gunfire that came our way. Maggie and I reached over the side of the building and returned some then quickly went back behind the wall. Daryl was getting the grenades ready. Once he was finished, he handed Glenn his rifle.

"You guys go ahead. I'm gonna lay down some cover fire," he said.

"No," Maggie said.

"We stick together, Daryl," I said.

"Too hairy. I'll be right behind you," he said.

"Then I'll cover you," I said.

"Nah. You have to make sure Glenn gets out all right. I got this. Trust me," he said looking at me reassuringly.

"Fine," I said.

"Ready?" Daryl asked before he threw one of the grenades in front of him.

He advanced further and before I knew it, I couldn't see him anymore and that worried me.

"Move!" Rick yelled.

"Let's get out of here!" Oscar yelled.

"Rick!" I said looking behind me.

"Keep going!" he ordered.

Glenn, Maggie, Oscar and I made our way to the wall. There was no way to climb it from where we stood.

"This way!" Oscar called.

There was a bus parked to the left of us. That would be much easier to climb. I was able to see Daryl covering us just as he had said. Oscar climbed first and held out his hand to Glenn. Maggie and I covered them both. As soon as Glenn reached the top of the bus, Oscar was hit.

"No!" Glenn yelled.

"Oscar!" I screamed.

He hit the ground writhing in pain.

"Rick! Rick!" Maggie yelled.

"Maggie! Amelia!" Glenn yelled at us both as we looked at Oscar's wound.

His breathing had suddenly stopped. There was no saving him.

"Damn it!" I exclaimed.

"Rick!" Maggie yelled once more.

"Maggie, go!" I said.

Right before she headed for the bus, she shot Oscar in the head.

"Guys come on!" Glenn yelled.

I covered Maggie while she made her way up the bus.

"Amelia, come on!" Maggie said, extending her hand to me.