Chapter four- The Discovery

* * *

There was a strong, musky smell about. I could hear a dull beating of my heart. My head felt like it was scrambled up badly. 

There was a scorching pain on my right knee, but other than that I was just dizzy. What happened to the others? I thought, panicking.

As my eyes focused and my sense came back, I noticed the dark, dusty room I was in. The foggy air thickened the room and filled the place with an eerie mysterious feel. There was a jar containing dried moss, a blackened tree in the corner, and more weird objects, surrounded by rusted cardboard boxes.

All around me I could see pieces of wood, dead trees, bark, leaves, and moss. Just more and more of dried up moss. The room looked like it was filled with green objects that had turned brown over the years.

It smelled quite like wet dog, I observed.

 What was a dead forest doing in a long lost attic up in our school?

The only slightly bright place was the hole that we fell through above me, and a tiny little window on the side. The little window only let in a small stream of sunlight, but it managed to keep the moss around the window healthier looking. They seemed like they were still growing.

The sun shined down into the dark area and the fog looked as clear as ever.

All was silent.

What the heck? Where was I? Hadn't I just fallen inside a roof doing something stupid with my friends? Why are there moss and boxes all around and covered with cobwebs? 

"Ester?" I called, nervous and paranoid of my surroundings.

"Jake? Where are you?"

I heard a cough and some movement around the broken pieces of wood and tiles around me. Jake stirred and stood up, shaking his head as if he was still oblivious of his surroundings.

"Ouch," he said kicking at the wood and small pieces of furniture around him. "Stupid stool."

Ester was apparantly behind me. She was on the ground covered with fallen tiles. She grimaced and said, "Crap, I got a bruised ass down here." Chuckling, I helped pull her up, glad that none of us were really injured.

We stood there for awhile, taking in what had happened.

"Phew, guys that wasn't cool." said Jake. "Wasn't cool at all.

Ester agreed, "I know, next time we are never doing something like this again." I nodded, but that wasn't the worst of our problems. "So, where are we, somewhere under the roof? I've never heard or seen this place before." 

"Absolutely no idea." Said Jake. "I've never heard of or been here."

"Guys, I think this is the attic." I said.

"Wow, don't think anyone really knew about this attic, I never paid attention to this kind of stuff, anyways." said Ester, looking around and fascinated at the little forest of dead wood and moss around us.

 Why is this here? Had anyone known this?

What Ester said was true; I had never paid attention to the places other than the halls and classes, either. Had we all simply just dismissed the fact that this school might have something we didn't know about?

As I was thinking, Jake was rummaging through the little tools from the cardboard boxes. He picked up a weird looking instrument. It had a shiny cover to it and looked like it was a lighter of some sort. I immediately thought of Dumbledore from Harry Potter and that instrument he used to put out the lights.

Yeah, I was a Harrypottermaniac, but what were these things doing here? 

"Looks old enough to be in the 1700's, but the technology looks too advanced, somehow." I observed. 

"Yeah, but what about all these plants? Some are still alive and thriving. It's impossible for them to survive here for hundreds of years without all drying up." Jake pointed out.

I looked up. "What if the rainwater seeped down here, and the sunlight from that little window was enough to provide for the plants? Wouldn't they all grow, even for hundreds of years?" 

"Possibly. But this place is just cool, no matter how old it is or whatever." mused Ester, walking around the little room and looking at everything there is to see.

I took a step to follow her, but my foot caught on to something on the ground. It was wrapped up in a small white sheet of towel and it seemed like someone had thrown it in here at the last minute; one corner of the object was curiously poking out.

"Cool, look here." I bent down towards the dusty ground and scooped up a funny looking bundle. I unwrapped it carefully and looked. It was a wooden device; kind of like a remote of some sort.

The style of it seemed to fit in the atmosphere of the attic, but then it felt different; it had a musky feel to it, lingering on to my fingers as I held it. 

Just when I picked it up, that weird sensation had trickled through me. Cool, was my first thought. My second thought; what in the world is this? 

The design on it looked like it was slightly scratched, like it was scarred by claws of some sort. It had a little black screen, and on the bottom there were letters. They were too faded out to read, though. Small buttons made of rock lined neatly as if they bore some sort of command to the little wooden block. 

 It was odd, quite peculiar.

Ester walked towards me, inspecting the time on her wristwatch. "Guys, we should probably try to get out of here. I've watched too many horror movies and this creepy place is really getting to my nerves."

I silently agreed. "How though?" 

"We could look for a door."

Jake shook his head. "There's no way we can find any door around here. People would've cleaned this place up if they found it. There's definately no door."

"Maybe we should stack up some boxes and climb up, and then down the roof?" I suggested.

To make a long story short; It was successful, I guess we had all learned our lesson to be careful and look for people with a watchful eye when we climbed up to the hole we were blown through, and then down the tiles.

As we climbed down one after another, I thought of studying the little block of wood I found. I had put that little remote in my pocket before I left. I wanted to be reminded of this place, and that it was really here.

The hole in the roof seemed too high up to be noticed and renovated for at least awhile, and just I wanted remember that little forest. 

Little did I know what I had picked up from that attic will change my life, forever. 

Sorry if this is like SUPER short, I have finals at this time~

support and vote

-Jessica