Chapter Three - Mrs. Meller Encounter

We were stranded on a roof. 

Trapped, with no where else to go.

Somewhere out in the corner of the school, Mrs. Meller was getting closer and closer towards us. 

Our doom was walking, closer by the second. My heart raced as I speed up my feet to match the swift steps of Ester ahead of me.

Mrs. Meller was going to expel us for sure if she saw us up here, no question about that. I moved my hands and grabbed the next railing, trying to remain balanced.

Somewhere, suspended in air, one of my feet had no place to step in and was left dangling.

Oh what a mess we landed right here and now, I thought. Please don't fall, I begged myself.

If there was a study hall for the rest of the year, I'd gladly go there than be where I am now. 

This situation, this place, our goal; it all seemed pretty hopeless.

As I tried securing my foot, Ester whispered, "Careful, guys. The next tile is slippery." I traced Ester's steps carefully, making sure to step on the good bricks and not the loose ones.

"Jenn." Whispered Jake. "Hurry!"

As we climbed, I kept glancing down to see where she was. Mrs. Meller was definately closer now. As we advanced higher and higher towards an area that was sloped inwards towards the chimney, all I could hope was that we get to that chimney. It was our only chance that Mrs. Meller wouldn't be able to spot us.

"Almost there!" said Ester, sliding towards the platform.

The area seemed steady though the red wooden tiles around the chimney looked pretty rusted and faded. It seemed like this was probably the only place in the school where the people didn't renovate. 

"I just hope that we'll come out alive." I whispered under my breath.

 Jake chuckled somewhere behind me, "Don't worry, little chicken, I'll make sure you come out

alive." 

If I weren't racing on the roof of the school at the moment, I would've smirked and given him a good punch on the arm. But I decided to just keep my mouth shut for the time being. 

 We were close, so close. I could easily grab the next railing and jump towards the platform containing that red brick chimney and be well away from Mrs. Meller. I reached out to the platform. 

Alright, I thought. We were going to make it!

Hopeful, as I reached to grab the very railing that would lead me to safety, my fingers slipped and before I knew it,  I lost my balance. All in a blink of an eye.

A good chunk of brick collapsed underneath me causing me to fall with it, sliding downwards towards the ground.

My mind jumbled crazily as I tried to grab on to something, anything. No! I was too close; this couldn't be happening!

"Jennifer!" cried Ester, attempting to give me her hand. 

I missed by an inch, still sliding down. My shoes were clawing viciously into the tiles, causing them to rattle and break off. NO, NO, NO.

I could feel that hard, rough surface scrape my knee again and again as I slid off the roof of the school.

This is it, I thought. I was gonna slide off the roof of Loyald George high and die right here and now. Jake whirred around then, just aware of what was going on with a frantic look on his face. As fast as lighting, he scrambled, jumping down to the platform to where I was heading.