Chapter 22 •And Finally We Move On•

Seventy Years Later

"Grandpa, are you sure you don't need my help?" I shook my head once again with a permanent scowl on my face. "Grandpa you need to-"

"Be careful, Hannah I'm 92, I haven't even reached 100 yet. I'm fine." I said to my granddaughter who was hovering over me like I needed constant attention.

Time had gone by like lightning, because here I sat 92 years old, barely able to do anything on my own anymore. My little girl was now 73, she had her own kids and some of them even had their own kids, I was old.

I was now currently living with Hannah, one of Olivia's daughters, and her husband Mike. After I refused to enter an old folks home Hannah decided to take me in. I had always told all my grandkids that I had no favorites but well, Hannah took me in so the rule didn't apply anymore.

"Just let me know if you need anything." She said before she left. I just grunted in response as I tried to finish painting on the canvas.

Things weren't like they used to be anymore. I was lonely to be quite honest and painting didn't help me as much as it used to. My hands were constantly jittering everywhere so my strokes were terrible and I could barely hold my arm up for more than five seconds.

After my University graduation I had began painting more and more, I started selling my work on the streets and people would buy them. That was until one day an art museum owner noticed my work and took an interest in it.

My work was soon being placed in his museum. I had gotten lots of money; soon enough to open my own museum just like Tori had told me I would. It was depressing that she wasn't there with me but I still strived on.

Eventually I met a woman named Taylor Herington; she was an art critique that was in love with my work. She was beautiful and nice; I hadn't dated in years so I decided to give it a try.

We were married when we were both 29, and we both agreed that having kids was out of the question. I had Olivia and she had her own daughter to take care of. Her boyfriend left her when he had found out she was pregnant so she had to become a single mom.

Olivia and I welcomed both Taylor and her daughter Lisa into our family with open arms. Olivia was a little wary about it at first but when she met Lisa, the two became best friends right away.

When both Olivia and Lisa moved out nothing was too bad because I still had Taylor with me but then when she died four years ago it left me a bit lonely.

Both Faith and Carter had died. Carter died from a heart attack and Faith had died in her sleep just one day after Carter died. They were both buried the same day and put right next to each other.

I missed them both so much, I wished that they would have stayed with me. When they died a part of me left with them, just how a part of me left when Tori died.

They weren't the only ones who died. Evie had died just last year. She had married a guy named Kevin who she had met at her work and they had about three other kids. Kevin was still alive but Evie was gone.

The last of my friends alive were Rebecca and Jason, they had both gotten married and had two kids. They both might not make it thought, they were in the hospital. Rebecca and Jason were very weak and sick.

I wanted them to pull through but I knew they probably wouldn't, they were 92 like me, and the odds weren't exactly in their favor.

"Hannah!" I called out "Hannah!"

"Grandpa?" A small little voice called out. I watched as my great grandson Eddie walked down the stairs towards me. A huge smile fell across his face when he saw me. "Grandpa!"