5 | Place Your Bets

F I V E

~Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.~

a d e l i n

Detention.

We'd gotten detention on the first day of school and that too for talking.

After our meeting with the Principal both Caleb and I had bid each other goodbye and gone our separate ways to attend our respective classes.

It was finally lunch and as soon as I step through the sliding glass doors of the cafeteria, I'm hit with the delightful scent of coffee.

To say that the cafeteria at Silver Knight is good would be an understatement. The cafeteria was one of the best places in the whole lavish highschool.

It's a perfect blend of cozy and rustic. From the leafy vines dangling against brick walls to the cool geometric high stools which stood against the marble tables and the plush grey, blue and white bean bags.

It's not the standard linoleum tiled, yellow walled cafeteria, that's part of the reason why the founders of this school are loved so much.

Walking further into the buzzing room, I find a very excited Ashley strutting towards me, several heads turn as she passes, eyes fixated on the stunning vixen.

"You are not going to guess what just happened!" Ash whisper yells, taking hold of both my hands.

"Why would I when you're going to enlighten me what's got you jumping either way." I give her a bright smile when she narrows those electric blue eyes at me.

"You're no fun. Caleb Carter, the new guy I told you about, Mason invited him for lunch." Ash grins, her enthusiasm palpable, the sight is enough to make my own lips twitch. Such is the power of Ashley Lysander's smiles. 

"Ohemgeee!" I rave with mock vigour, aptly earning a pinch, accompanied by a huff of annoyance.

"Can't wait to sit with the guy who got me into detention on the very first day of senior year!" I further add in the same tone.

This causes Ash's ears to perk up and before she can start interrogating me, I state "I'll explain later." She gives me a pointed look muttering "You better. In detail."

I assure the blonde with a sincere nod and air kiss.

While I head to our table, Ash goes to get lunch. We've always sat at the same table since we were freshmans, though now three seats will be deserted.

Stop it.

I make my way to the table finding Tris, Candi and Caleb already seated, their lunch trays with all sorts of assortments infront of them.

All of a sudden the thought of him eating with us starts to make me feel nervous. Him sitting where Danny used to sit making me uneasy.

"Hello, hello." I greet, waving my hand with a smile. Caleb and my eyes instantly meet "What a coincidence." He winks at me making me break into a small reluctant smile, I take my usual seat, directly across from him.