30 | The Tracks

T H I R T Y

~I know i'm not the centre of the universe, but you keep spining round me just the same.~

a d e l i n

I pocket my phone when the unmistakable loud rumbles and growls of racecars near.

With a smirk, I push off my car, strutting towards the now five parked vehicles.

The clock ticks 8:30 just as the rest reach the tracks, myself being the first one to arrive. Everyone gets out of their cars and I see Noah roll his eyes at the smug expression gracing my face.

"Took you long enough." Remarking, I get closer and hop on the bonnet of his McLaren which causes him to glare at me.

"Get your ass off my Michelle." Noah commands, reffering to his car by the name he gave it. I do as I'm told while the others gather around, all of us take in the sight of the familiar enormous field.

The dirt tracks, bordered by painted tires rest far off the space, everything is illuminated by huge lights-flashing and coloured alike-people dance around small bonfires on the wide patches of grass to the upbeat music blasting through the field.

The open bar is in full swing with the bartenders eyeing every girl passing by, infront of them the rowdy crowd cheers on with plans to dance the night away.

On the other side, audience place bets on their favourite drivers, while countless 'managers' continue to assign racers to different tracks, all vying for the announcer's attention who pays them no heed, talking carelessly to a group of guys.

All over, racers stand proudly beside their vehicles ranging from monstrous bikes to sleek cars. The air is alive with excitement, mingled with the constant buzz of anticipation.

It feels good to back.

It feels better than just good to be back.

"Lads and ladies, who all shall be racing this fine evening?" Tris rubs his hands, looking at us expectantly, excitement lighting his eyes.

Danny grins, raising two fingers "Oh I fully plan on winning some races tonight." He shouts over the music, confidence oozing from him. I scoff at that, fixing Tris with a grin.

"Count me in, Partner." I tell him, who in return gives me a high five.

"Noah and I are going to race as well." Caleb informs Tris, though his eyes remain on my face. Trying my best to ignore that gaze, I focus my undivided attention on my lively surroundings.

"Okay then, i'm going to go and sign up your names for the races." Tris annonces and Noah and Danny accompany him to head off to our long time manager, Axel, who also happens to be a good friend.

"I want to get a drink, after all that happened earlier, I think we deserve it." Ash mumbles, starting to move to the bar, each of us following behind with zero arguments.

But I don't seem to share their fate because Caleb grips my wrist, pulling me back into his strong chest. I'm not even surprised at this point.

"Stop this, Starlight." Caleb whispers, breath kissing my face, arms tightening around my waist. It takes every ounce of will power in me not to give in to him. Especially after hearing him call me that name.