Sacrifice of a God

Chapter 9

Quickly Diana hid watching and listening to three well dressed thugs who stood at the corner of the alley way. They began to speak of 'the boss', Diana immediately assuming it was joker they were talking about began to discuss some signal being detected in the surrounding area, a transmission of some kind, Diana grew concerned as the moved just above the opening to the bunker. Had they found the surviving justice leagues hideout? fearfully thought Diana.

The tallest out of the thugs gang with long greasy fair hair and a very 1920s gangster suit stood grinning uncontrollable as a small device in his hands began to beep faster and faster as he waved it aimlessly above the opening of the bunker.
"My boys we have hit the jackpot I believe down there somewhere in the pits of Gotham we may have found the vermin, he removed his hat and placed it on the smaller but slightly overweight, idiotic looking baldy man joyfully said " we have found the league, the boss will praise us haha" the more heavier man started to smile to " let's go down there and get them, the boss will be happy haha very happy!!"

A loud but controlled "no" came from the shadows. Diana began to become curious as to where the sound had come from but the third man who stood in a sleek black suit stepped forward under the dim flickering of the street lamp but still his face remained in the darkness.
"No we won't take down the biggest league of super powered being to walk this earth you fool, superman will take one look at you and incinerate you where you stand. We know they are there that is enough to alert the bosses soldiers you idiots" the man sighed as did the rest of the men."Come on we need to get out of here and get back to the boss anyways that flash guy so far hasn't given up anything yet, wonder what 60,000 bolts of electricity will do to him haha." They laughed in excitement as the left the alley way leaving Diana strangely overjoyed and fearful at once. Flash was alive but for how long? besides the fact she had to warn the surviving justice league members of the soldiers which would be heading there way momentarily to kill them.

Diana's pulse was racing as she ran faster than the speed of light to the bunker, swinging the large steel door effortlessly only to see a deserted bunker where only Bruce and Clark remained, standing in the darkness in a pool of blood with Bruce holding a small dagger in his hand. Before Diana was able to grasp any air for breath both Clark and Bruce quickly grabbed Diana and in firm voices said
" it's time to go now" in a synchronized tone. Still panting for breath Diana was only able to utter the words 'the blood where did it..... flash... we need to.." before she was dragged out the empty bunker. Clark and Bruce slid there arms around her waist almost lifting her off the ground.

All three stood in the trenching rain as both Bruce and Clark's look of worry became more startling to Diana. "What's going on, where is everyone?" Clark looked up at Diana who looked soaked standing in the cold wrapping her arms around herself to keep warm as her hair draped over her face " trust me we will explain everything soon but we have to get to john down the alley way come on we don't have much time." Clark ran to the end of the dark, vermin invested alley where John stood holding a small device pointing it at Clark as we got closer.
"This will get you were you need to go the others are already waiting just us left to go" John said in a very monotone and unemotional way.

As Clark and John continued to speak about this 'device' Bruce pulled Diana under his large cape as the storm raged on. "Bruce we have to go now the soldiers are coming and I don't think we have the numbers or strength to fight them all off..."
Bruce placed his hands on Diana's blushing cheeks gently
" Shhh it fine we know Diana about the thugs, when you were away Clark could hear the men planning our demise but john has found a new hideout for us for the moment, I promised you I would protect you and I'm keeping to my word" whispered Bruce who was staring into Diana's large blue eyes intently. As Diana stared back she saw the man who was her protector and as she drew closer there lips as cold as ice drew nearer.

Bang!! bang!!
"Ohhhh god Hera no !!!! screamed Diana who's hands were soaked in blood. Bruce fell to the ground, Diana began to scream in terror "Bruce, Bruce are you ... Please don't do this me Bruce, I lo....." Diana buried her head into Bruce's chest as he lay lifelessly on the ground with bullets plunged into his lower thigh and back, he moaned in pain as tears trickled down Diana's face. Clark raised his head to see where the shots had come from. His scanning of the area led his eyes to the end of the alley where fully armed soldiers of every weapon imaginable blocked the alley entrance. Clark took a step forward ready to wipe out this feeble attack but as he took one step forward his foot barely touched the ground for his next step before he collapsed in pain falling to the concrete floor beneath him. Diana still holding onto the injured and very weak Bruce knelt in horror as the soldiers began to shoot kryptonite bullets at them. Particularly Clark who had collapsed due his only weakness being kryptonite. Although Clark tried to heave his body from the ground his efforts remained futile.
John still in shock grabbed the small device from Clarks tight grip and pressed a large red button hesitantly while pointing at the large wall behind them firstly a small beam of light appeared before it opened up a small portal of the darkened hole.
Diana can you hold both Clark and Bruce and run through the portal ?"
Diana stood confused " yes but your coming with us" John gazed at Diana's confused expression as he dodged the bullets flying at him " not this time I'm afraid princess you must run through the portal don't look back, I'll hold them off but I don't know how long for so go!!" Diana clutched on to Bruce's body stunned.

Diana refused to leave him, an amazon never leaves her warriors behind in battle and wasn't going to start now which John expected of her and in the seconds of the soldiers changing ammunition John threw Clark, Diana and Bruce into the portal which began to close immediately, Diana, who's hand were covered in blood turned for the last time seconds before the portal closed to see John being hit in the back of the head, his body laying face down in the concrete,
"Nooo.. john" Diana screamed as she stretched her hand towards the opening of the portal still holding onto both Clark and Bruce but the portal closed leaving Diana with the last memory of her friend being knocked to the ground waiting for death to claim him.