just a knock away

Phil sighed quietly as he set his last pair of jeans in his dresser, finally emptying his suitcase, indicating that he is completely moved into his new room. 

"Hey, Phil- oh you've finished unpacking! The room looks nice!" Phil just rolled his eyes at his mother's remark, moving to sit on the bed and opening his laptop. His mother let out a breath audibly and walked over to the window, opening it. "You should get some sunlight in here. It's not good to sit in a dark room. Too depressing."

"Matches me perfectly," Phil mumbled, trying to ignore his mum in the thought that she would get bored and leave eventually. 

"Sweet, I know that this wasn't in your favor, and I'm really sorry. But, your father needs this job," she said and set a hand on her son's shoulder, only for the boy to shake it off violently. 

"Why couldn't he just get a job back in Rossendale? You know, where I was happy?" Phil shot back at her, looking up. 

"There were no offerings, Phil, you know that. As much as we would love to go back so you can be happy, we can't. I'm sorry," She tried to explain only causing Phil to sneer and go back to his computer, feeling the heat rise in anger. 

"Maybe this wouldn't have happened if he didn't get fired," he grumbled and his mother just swallowed in frustration, setting down a tube on Phil's bed that she had brought into his room. 

"Here's your posters," she said and retreated from the small room, not wanting to get into anymore trouble with her son than she needs to.

Phil let out a shaky breath, trying to keep the tears in as he thought of all his friends back in his home town. Phil was never the best at talking to others or adapting to new experiences, which is why this feels like the absolute worst thing that has ever happened to him in his life. 

A small smile crept to his face as he lifted the posters, trying to keep his mind off of anything that would make him sad again. I can at least make the most of this and cover my walls with Buffy. 

So he was up on his feet, Muse playing on full blast as he started to transform his room into something that didn't look like a scene from a horror film. 

He sang along, putting up posters, laying his covers on the bed and dangling some Christmas lights around the headboard of his bed, as that had been something he's been doing since he was five. The room was smaller, pale paint was chipping and there wasn't even a closet for all of Phil's clothes. He didn't mind the small area though, it seemed to make him feel more secure. 

Phil had nearly finished with all his posters before he moved to the ceiling, making a mental note to print out a few more Buffy ones for him to be able to look at just before he fell asleep. 

"Hey! As much as I love this song, keep it down. There's people sleeping in here!" Phil turned around in a startle, thinking someone was in his room, but in fact it was the opposite. Right on the outside of his window was a boy around his age, yelling through the gape in the wall, as well as glancing around the room. 

"W-what? How did y-you?" Phil asked, walking over to his laptop and turning down the song that was on before padding to the window, looking curiously at the boy who was crouched just so he could see his whole form. 

"Also, next time don't sing as loud. It's annoying as fuck," Phil stuttered silently, taken aback as he tried to find a response to this guys comment. 

"You're annoying-" he said back, not finding the right words but trying to glance past his frame. "How did you get up here?" The boy's brown eyes rolled as he moved, showing that both the roofs of their own houses nearly conjoined and were at the same level, making it easy access for either of them to walk over to the other house.