Chapter 10

I held Frank's hand as we walked outside. He smoked quietly, leaning against the fence of the house. He's down to one cigarette a day now and I was so proud of him.

"And next month you'll be done," I said.

"I will," he said.

I smiled, resting my head on his shoulder as I hugged him tight. He ran his fingers through my hair with his free hand.

"I love you," he muttered, blowing smoke up in the air.

"I love you too," I said.

I could see my dad's car out of the corner of my eye but we both just ignored it.

"When is Patrick coming back?" I asked.

"Soon, hopefully," Frank said.

"He's there because of me," I mumbled sadly.

Frank dropped his cigarette and stepped on it. He caressed my cheek and kissed my forehead.

"This isn't your fault," he said. "You just want to be happy and that's not your fault. It's your family's fault. You didn't do anything wrong, princess."

My eyes watered and he gave me a soft kiss. Frank flipped off my dad and I couldn't help but giggle. I copied him and he smirked.

"Naughty princess," Frank said with a smile as he shook his head.

He held my hips, pulling me closer as our lips crashed together in a messy kiss. I smiled into the kiss and he picked me up. I giggled as he carried me into the house.

"Susan!" I cheered when he came running over.

I kneeled down to pet her before she went to go play with Olivia.

"You want to take a little nap?" He asked. "You hardly slept at all last night."

I shook my head, leaning up to give him a soft kiss. I didn't wanna sleep, I didn't want the nightmares.

"Come on, let's go watch tv for a little," he said.

I nodded and we watched tv for a little bit until I heard thunder. It started raining and I looked out the window, pressing my face to the glass.

"Come on, let's go play outside," Frank said.

He handed me my rain boots, which were pastel pink and my matching rain jacket. I put them on and we went outside as Susan ran out between our legs but the kittens refused to go out. I stepped my foot down onto the grass but cringed from the mud.

"It's dirty," I complained.

"Only a little bit, it's only getting on your shoes," Frank said.

He took my hand and I nervously stepped off the patio into the mud. Susan ran around as he barked happily. Frank smiled as we quickly got soaked. He spun me around and I laughed. Frank pulled me close and I smiled, hugging him tight.

"I love you," I said.

Frank smiled as Susan ran over. He threw a stick and Susan quickly chased after it. He smiled, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"Do you think the pets will like the beach house?" I asked.

"Yeah, they'll love it," he said. "When Susan gets bigger he can even go swimming too."

"Yay, I can't wait," I said.

Rain poured down on us until I started to get cold. Frank held me close and I smiled.

"Alright, let's warm you up," he said.

We started walking inside when I slipped on mud. I gasped, my eyes watering. I burst into tears when I saw that I was covered in the dirt and mud.