chapter 52 | if at first you don't succeed

Start from the beginning

"Happy Monday!" The receptionist sitting behind the curved, wooden desk at the entrance to marketing, greets everyone this way as if Monday's are a time for celebration. Her sleek black bob and rosy cheeks highlight her radiant bronze skin.

I chuckle to myself. "Morning Chelsea."

I get to my cubicle and set up my laptop.

Before I've settled in, Ally Williams stops by holding her coffee mug. With strawberry-blonde hair that sits past her shoulders, a stunning lightly-freckled heart-shaped face, and a love of black I've only seen New Yorkers rival, Ally is one of the fiercest bosses I've ever had. She has an uncanny ability to make whoever stands next to her look important and just as fierce. If Ally pays attention to someone, they must be somebody.

"Morning Aria. I'm going down to the cafeteria for coffee. Want to walk and talk?"

Her question is more like a pressing suggestion. I really can't say no. There's something she needs to tell me. I'm just praying it's not Phoenix-related.

"Sure. Let me grab my mug." I snatch my coffee mug and join her. We leave the marketing department.

"Everything going well this morning?" she asks.

"For sure. I got in early to work on the Lakeshore Drive project."

"Awesome. I love an early worm. Look, I've been noticing your work."

We take the stairs two floors down to the café.

"Yeah?"

"And I like what I'm seeing. Keep it up. You're owning it. I think I'd like you to help head the next project. Windsor Court and the eighty acres of land that surround it. It's a massive project that could change the face of Milwaukee. That crime-ridden, dilapidated area is in dire need of rehabilitation. Prescott Realty has been trying to acquire the land from the city for years. We're this close to a deal. To move things forward, we need the support of the community. That's where you come in."

"OK." I nod, listening intently.

"I'm arranging a cross-departmental team of roughly twenty marketing and PR associates. As part of marketing, you'll need to find what drives the consumers in this area and appeal to that. That means researching evolving trends and focusing on consumer behavior. It means giving recommendations on our approach. PR will bring brand awareness to the community, foster a working relationship with local leaders and get widespread media attention. We want the people in the community calling their representatives asking for revitalization and we want them asking for Prescott Realty to do it. You up for it?"

We arrive at the café. "This is exciting. I'm in! You won't be disappointed."

"Just so you know, I put in a good word for you. After reviewing the latest work of all the marketing associates, Mr. Prescott believes in your ability to get the job done, as do I."

"Wow. That speaks volumes." My mouth is saying one thing, my heart is saying another.

"Yeah, it's his pet project. So, it's near and dear to his heart. We have to give this project extra care and attention."

I nod. "Got it."

We grab coffee and muffins and head back to marketing. All the while, Phoenix is on the brain. Working here is going to be harder than I thought.

When I get back to my cubicle, dozens upon dozens of pastel-colored roses are sitting in several vases at my desk.

Tonya, my nearest cubemate pops her head in. She looks professional, yet chic wearing glasses with her dark hair piled in a bun on top of her head. "Oh! Someone has captured someone's attention! May I ask who?" her saucy tone and eye wink turn this situation into a sassy whodunit. Our fellow co-workers start throwing out random names.

My breath hitches. "Don't know. The card says anonymous." But I don't need a name on a card to know who they're from. "Want a few?" I ask the girls nearby.

"Sure! A girl can't say no to flowers!"

"This girl can," I say under my breath. "As a matter of fact, flowers for everyone!" I announce. I walk down each aisle handing out every single rose until they're all gone. "Good riddance." I hide the vases under my desk. Reminders are not needed.

I get back to my cubicle and start working on the Lakeshore Drive project. Hours fly by, and I don't look up from my laptop until the grumbling of my stomach gets so loud, I'm sure my cubemates can hear it.

Tonya stops by. "A few of us, we're leaving campus, so to speak. We're going to try that new hibachi restaurant on Brady. Wanna come?"

"Uh. Can I take a raincheck? I'll just grab something here. I really need to finish this."

"Sure. We leave in five if you change your mind." She leaves the marketing department. Past the receptionist's oval desk, near the elevator, I see her gathering with three other girls from our training class.

Out of nowhere, the elevator doors open, and Phoenix steps off. My heart races against itself causing me to nearly choke on the swig of coffee I just swallowed. He stops in front of the receptionist. She points in my direction. I duck down out of sight. Panicked because I know he's heading in my direction, I dip out the side of my cubicle and take the back stairs down a floor. By chance, I catch Tonya's elevator going down.

Out of breath, I let the girls know, "I've changed my mind. Hibachi sounds really good right now."

____________________

Having escaped Phoenix's grasp all day, I take it as quite the accomplishment. He's a man that's used to getting his way and will stop at nothing to get what he wants. With all the resources he has at his fingertips, it's a wonder I made it to the end of the day unscathed.

Honestly, this can only last so long. You're commissioned for the Windsor Court project, so at some point you will cross paths with him.

Still, he clearly doesn't want his employees knowing about us, otherwise he'd be a lot more aggressive in his approach. That gives me some breathing room.

When I get to my car, there's a note on thick stock paper under my windshield wiper. The temptation to read it makes my palms itch but to do so will be at my own peril. I know it's from him. I can't get sucked back in. I snatch the letter from under the wiper, crumble it up as small as I can, open the car door and shove it into the glove compartment.

No negotiating your way back in.

"I'm better by myself. I'm level-headed. I know what I'll do. I'm predictable. I'm safe and I'll never hurt me, like he did. Cause I love me." I look down at my baby bump. "And I love you."

I smile to myself, as I head home, anticipating Chinese delivery and a long, hot bath. As I pull out of the parking lot, I tell the car to call home.

"Hey, Mama. I've got so much to tell you."

"Pickle! Go ahead. Spill it."

____________________

A/N: Hey Guys and Gals! Aria seems resolved on having her child and raising it alone. Is this a decision you agree with? Why or why not? Please Vote, Follow and Comment! I love ya'll!