chapter 38 | missing in action, resounding ring

Eight Weeks Ago

Eight Weeks Ago

Tuesday

It's been two days since we've gotten back from Miami and I still have not heard from Phoenix. I've called. Left messages. Texted him. Nothing. My mind is driving me crazy.

Why hasn't he called me?

Getting up from the kitchen island, I leave my cup of coffee and go to the fish tank.

"You're not looking so hot, girl." I drop a few flakes of fish food into the tank.

Alana doesn't notice the food at all. She hasn't eaten since Axel died. She's wasting away. I tap the side of the tank. No response, as if I'm not even there. She's not swimming to the sound like she used to. I know what's coming next.

Phoenix, call me! Your gift is slowly dying.

I get the urge to work out. I get dressed in my cutest black, mesh panel workout leggings, black sports bra and army fatigue tank top. I pull my hair up into a curly ponytail, put on my running shoes and ear buds, grab my iPhone then head out the door.

I'm irritated and frustrated by everything. Blasting Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" helps me release some stress. I take the trail behind my house because the landscape is so beautiful. And I run. As hard and as fast as I can until I can't take it anymore. Until I'm out of breath and soaked in sweat. Until my muscles ache with every move and I'm so spent I can't think about anything.

Back after my run, I make a beeline for the kitchen. I need water. Rehydration never felt so good. I peel a few boiled eggs and drop down on the couch. Check my iPhone. Still no call from Phoenix.

What's up with Phoenix thinking he doesn't have to call you back?

This is a Netflix moment. I need an escape. Reality is disappointing as shit. I decide to check out, getting lost in an episode of Orange is the New Black. Before I realize it, I've binged on a whole season. The countdown for the next season is flashing on the screen. Guess I'll watch that too.

Hello World, Aria is not here. Please leave a message at the beep . . . . BEEP!

____________________

I wake up in the morning on the couch. I must've drifted to sleep watching Netflix. As I approach the fish tank, I do a double take. Alana is leaning to the side. I thump the glass.

She's dying, Ari.

Dread clings to me. I rub my forehead, trying to figure out a way to make this better. I don't want her to die! Taking the fish net, I use it to push her upright. Her fins move weakly for a little while, then she stops. I push her again. Same response. It's so stupid, but I'm kind of emotional about it. I mean, I don't know if it's this whole Phoenix missing in action thing that's got me or watching my favorite pet waste away but this is torture. First Axel, now you! And Phoenix won't even call me back!