chapter 5 | sebastian's barbecue

Six Months Ago

Six Months Ago

Saturday (The Day Before Graduation)

The meeting with Sebastian's parents was hard enough. Hopefully the rest of the family is friendlier.

I pull up into the Duvalls' posh neighborhood. Their street is lined with cars. How am I supposed to find a place to park? In the driveway sits an Audi, a Mercedes, a BMW, and a Range Rover.

Who are these people?

Not one to compete, I bust a U-turn and take my nineteen-year-old rust bucket of an Oldsmobile around the corner to park. Even though I'd literally die if anyone saw me getting in or out of this trap in this neighborhood, I have to admit this car gets the job done. With some strong-arming and finagling, I manage to get the driver's door open. As soon as I'm out, I step away, putting a little distance between myself and the car door. Taking a deep breath, I leap forward, thrusting my weight onto the creaky door. It's the only way to get the door to stay shut.

The barbecue started over an hour ago. And nerves or not, I'm still groggy from the all-nighter I pulled at the club. The anxiety alone should be enough to zing me awake but I'm fried. Last night was the worst. That guy in my VIP section. Cringy!

Somebody please, before I meet these wonderful people, hook me up to the nearest caffeine IV drip. I'll take it straight into my fattest vein, coffee grounds and all.

I straighten out my hair and outfit as I hurriedly walk towards the Duvalls' house. Their home is gorgeous and huge. At two stories high, it's all brick, has immaculately sculpted landscaping, and an oversized oak door with the family crest carved into the wood.

Who does that?

What if they want to discuss family history? I don't know much, beyond my great-grandmother on my mother's side. And the only thing I know about my father's side of the family is that it exists.

Sebastian did not tell me it would be like this. "Just a casual barbecue with a few close friends and family," he said.

There are more than a "few" people here, and now, after seeing all these fancy luxury cars, I'm not so sure about the "casual" part either.

My heart pumps ferociously.

Here goes.

I press the doorbell. An elegant melody chimes from within the house.

What didn't they think of?

Standing close enough to take in the details of this stunning home, it's clear my mom's house is nothing like this. Can't even come close.

A girl comes to the door. She looks to be barely in her teens with long black hair, big dark brown eyes, and adorable braces. She smiles at me as a variety of delicious home-cooked aromas escape and rush out to greet my nose. There's music, chatter, and laughter in the background.