chapter 15 | at this hour?

Four Months Ago

Four Months Ago

Saturday, Early Morning Hours

"Aria! Baby! Open up!"

I hear a familiar knock on the door. He's the only person I know that does that. He knocks to the tune of random songs.

My heart leaps into my throat. "OK. Give me a sec!"

This can't be him! That's too weird. He was on my brain so hard, it caused him to magically appear?

I quickly wipe the water from my chin with a napkin. Rushing to the bedroom, I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I'm still wearing this soaked nightshirt.

This is not how I pictured this moment. I've been fantasizing about this for the last two months. I'm supposed to be sexy and irresistible. He'd stop by and wouldn't be able to keep his hands off me. I'd push him away and make him pay for all the pain he's caused. Then I'd reluctantly take him back, but not without conditions. Not before he met my demands. I can't demand anything looking like this!

I scramble to find something sexier to put on. My sheer, red lace nighty is perfect to throw on. Running to the bathroom, I quickly wash my face and swish a capful of mouthwash around my mouth. Got to make sure my hair looks good. I put on some red gloss and a little eyeliner.

OK. Now, you're ready.

I realize I'm rushing to the door, I force myself to slow down. No first-class treatment for him.

Nonchalantly, I open the door. "Hello, can I help you with something?"

The pungent odor of his drunkenness attacks my senses causing me to hold my breath. He smells like an old wino. Immediately the image of Pepe La Pew pops into my head. As a kid, I remember watching the cartoon of that French skunk who smelled so bad, he had odor lines wafting from his tail. Disgusted by his sloppy appearance and smell, I take a few steps back.

Oblivious to my revulsion, he leans in too far, almost tripping over the threshold. "Why, yes you can. I'm lost . . . looking for my way back home . . . ." he slurs with a drunk half-smile, overly confident in his ability to charm me.

"Really? Do you know what time it is, Sebastian?" Irritated by his everything, I refuse to take the bait.

"I know what time it is. It's only . . . ." He pulls his smartphone out of his pocket and glances at it. "It's 3:20 am?" He shakes his head in confusion, giving me the sense that he's lost track of time. "Can I," he scratches his temple, "can I come in? Can I . . . can we talk for a minute?"

My sexy nighty is wasted on him.

"What more do you have to say to me? You said it all, remember at your party? In front of everyone?"

"Hey! Hey. Hey. I know . . . ." He waves his hands at me, as if he's trying to calm me down. "I know how I ended it was wrong . . . I know that but . . . but I need to talk to you right now. I just need to talk to you, Aria. I miss you." He tears up causing me to feel a pang of sympathy for him.