Chapter Forty-Three

It had been a few minutes of dancing with Blake and Charlie immediately regretted it

It had been a few minutes of dancing with Blake and Charlie immediately regretted it. She had danced with him before during school dances just as friends but this was different; he was acting unusual, counteracting her flirting with even more flirting. She pressed her lips together in disappointment wondering why he would be acting like this. Could it be that Mari and Blake broke up or never even dated and it was all her imagination, she gasped in thought.

She looked past his shoulders and at Stefan who looked just as uncomfortable as her. Mari's back was to her just like Blake's was to him. She seemed like she was having an exciting time, provoking him to twirl her around.

"Wanna' switch?" Charlie asked. Blake shrugged her shoulders and released Charlie just as Stefan did to Mari. Once Charlie was in Stefan's arms, she exhaled in relief. His hands gripped the sides of her waist and it seemed so much more fitting and at home than she was with Blake.

"I think they know that we know," Stefan whispered into her ears. She leaned back and widened her eyes at the realization.

"Damn it," she chuckled. "Guess it was fun while it lasted."

They continued to dance and converse to the music. She gazed at Mari and Blake, laughing into each other and pressing foreheads together.

"They're perfect together," Charlie breathed in awe. Stefan agreed, looking directly at her.

Outside the hall and in the lobby, the disgruntled brunette and her boyfriend walked in. Ava had had enough. She was in no mood to be chasing a bitch and her crew for something her family desperately needed and after going through more of Charlie's text messages in the car, they found the reason for Charlie and Stefan to be dressed so fancily at the school - they were attending a wedding right after.

Ava pressed her hands against the sides of her attire - black tight jeans and a long-sleeved maroon shirt, not appropriate for a wedding at all. Sam, on the other hand, wore at least a sweater vest, which helped him blend in but only by a little bit.

Her feet began to move once again, following the sounds of music erupting into the thin air from the left side of the lobby. She had just neared the double doors when a frowning olive-skinned woman halted in front of her. She held her ear piece to listen onto incoming information before giving her attention to the two intruders.

"Private event, kids. Sorry," Gloria said. Ava and Sam glanced at each other and back at the woman who had a metal name tag right above her left breast. Gloria Pennella. It only took a matter of seconds before Ava felt the light bulb flash above her.

"Mrs. Pennella? I'm Ava and this is Sam. We're friends of Mari's!" Ava grinned. Gloria arched an eyebrow, panning her vision from one person to the next.

"Hm. Oh! You must be here to help. I knew Mari went overboard asking the rest of her friends. Well, I don't really have much jobs for you but I suppose you can go and just hang out with the rest of them since you took the time to come. Just try to avoid the main crowd. You're standing out a bit, honey," Gloria teased at Ava's outfit.