Chapter Eleven

Water was battering against Ava's bare back, head, and legs

Water was battering against Ava's bare back, head, and legs. Long showers made her think and this one made her panic. She was planning her entire life plan as the water massaged her head for a half hour. She had a couple more months till graduation and yet she felt less excited and more worried for her future. She had been accepted to decent universities but none that had recruited her for the soccer program. Not only was she drowned in SGA work, she was also struggling in Physics barely maintaining a B - a major no-no in her household. Her entire high school career was perfect up until that moment. She was once dating the lacrosse captain, had a stable 4.0, was the captain of her team, and things seemed to be heading in the right direction. Now, she was hopeless with no future in sight in her academics or her love life.

The shower head stopped emitting water and she grabbed a towel from the rack, effortlessly wrapping it around her body. Droplets started falling from her hair tips to the floor. As she began to dress in her room, she pondered at the sight of the many brochures and numbers written out on papers upon her desk. She didn't expected to actually try out for a soccer program; she had hoped to be recruited like any other person and she knew that it was unlikely for a walk-in to be the star of a team, something she was so used to being.

She heard voices outside her door. Opening her room door just slightly, she tilted her head and tried to listen. The voices were muffled but they were from her parents, arguing about something and Ava knew it had to be something monumental. Her parents were always a team and hardly disagreed on any matter but when it did, her and her siblings would hear of it.

"You put this on yourself, Ed and now, we have to fix this. You promised me that it was over and that you would never start again," she could her mother's sad voice.

"I'm trying," her father said, calmly.

"Well, not enough and the kids. They're going to find out soon. What are you going to tell them, then? It was our everything!"

"Louise."

Ava heard footsteps getting louder. She immediately shut the door and wondered what they were talking about and whatever it was, it was loudest she had her mother talk to her father.