Chapter Twenty-Seven

Ellen Mifflin was in her office, flipping through the brown leathered book

Ellen Mifflin was in her office, flipping through the brown leathered book. She would spend a moment reading a few excerpts before grunting and flipping some more. Her glasses slowly fell from the crook of her nose and onto the open book. 

'Lies. These were lies,' she thought. She placed the glasses back on and shut the book, discouraged. A soft crack was heard and Richard entered the room, immediately nestling against her leg. 

Cassie rushed inside, guiltily. Her eyes widened with regret once she realized that Richard had gotten out of her hold and into the very room that she was forbidden to go into. Ellen picked placed Richard on her lap, stroking his fur.  

"I'm so sorry. He just ran," Cassie stammered. She hesitated to step inside; Ellen had made it extremely clear when she started the job that she was not allowed in the office.

"Come in," Ellen waved her over. Cassie tiptoed in and stood awkwardly in front of her desk. She felt like a soldier in command ready for the next mission. There was a slight pause and Cassie always knew how intimidating Ellen was but never this much.

"Sit," Ellen commanded. Cassie pulled the chair out and sat upon it. "So, how are they?"

For a moment, Cassie wondered who they was until she realized that it about Lucy, Edward, and Richard. 

"Oh!" she recognized. "They're good. I feed them at appropriate times and I walk them. They are not a trouble at all, Mrs. Mifflin." 

Ellen nodded her head, liking what she was hearing. "And how are your studies?" 

"They're good. I am still hearing back from colleges here and there." 

Cassie's hands started to sweat. She hated the feeling of pressure and uncertainty. She can't remember the last thing she had a lengthy conversation like this other than their first meeting. 

"Tell me about your family."

Cassie gulped. "Well, my dad works at a software company and my mom is a realtor. I have a little brother. I... uh... just moved here." 

"Oh, did you make any friends?" 

This was strange. Cassie wondered why Ellen had taken a deep interest in her life but it helped ease the tension.

"I have a few friends. They actually go to the Academy." 

Ellen's eyes snapped up to her. "Oh, is that so?" 

Cassie was blind to the cynical tone. All she wanted was to leave the room and get back to finishing her homework. 

"Yeah." 

There was a long pause. It was as if time froze and Cassie was waiting for something to drop the ice. The tension was back on and she could feel it. The hair on her arms started to stand and she was slowly invaded with goosebumps and she couldn't pinpoint whether it was Ellen making her feel this way or the drop in temperature.