Chapter 3

*Above picture is Brody*

Yes, Xander was grateful that his friend was back, but that didn't mean his path was smooth again. Xander was going to be tested in all ways, and the first one was heading his way.

Xander was leaving his high school in the middle of the second semester of grade 10 when it, or really they hit him. He was supposed to take the city bus home so he was busy trying to pull out his bus pass.

"Yo! Xander, have I heard correctly, or are you actually one of those little pixy queens?" Xander whipped around to find one of the biggest jerks of the school standing in front of him. Xander sighed inwardly, really not wanting to have to deal with him today.

"Maybe? Maybe not. Even if you did, Ethan, what are you going to do? Beat the fag out of me like everyone else? Try to 'straighten' me out with some tight words?" Xander flipped Ethan off and turned to walk away. Just as he was walking away he noticed two other boys slip out of the shadows and move towards him. He dropped his backpack and managed to duck just as a punch was aimed at his head.

"Seriously? Secretly planning a bash-the-fag rave after school? Wow. I see how mature you are now..." Xander replied sarcastically to the two other punches thrown at him, managing to just dance out of their reach. Ethan smirked at him.

"Maybe? Maybe not. What? Are you going to go cry to mommy and daddy?" Ethan answered, he wiped at his eyes and pretended to cry. Xander was focused just a second too long on Ethan and a punch landed just below his eye. He cried out and fell to the ground as his eyes filled with stars. He closed his eyes for s second to regain his focus when three more kicks landed against his stomach and side. He grunted and curled in on himself to try and protect his stomach area.

"Come on Xander boy! Get up! Fight us!" Ethan called, laughing hysterically. Xander's eyes filled with rage and he turned, placing his hands on the ground. Pushing himself up a kick caught him under the chin and he again, cried out in pain falling onto his side.

"Caught you by surprise that one did!" One of the punchers taunted him. Xander knew he needed to stop this nonsense, or at least try to get up and fight, but when the final kick landed straight in his crotch area, he just lay back prepared to take his beating.

"Finally given up, aye?" Ethan laughed and then Xander heard a light bird chirp.

"Awe crap. Okay, boys, we gotta go. The little lady is waiting for me at home." Ethan chuckled and Xander heard the three walking away. He lay still for a couple more minutes and then struggled into a sitting position, and then standing. He limped over to his backpack and then checked no one had stolen anything. He went to the camera on his phone and was grateful to find the bruises on his face weren't quite showing. He practiced a fake smile and came up with a fake story. Then limping he made his way to the bus stop.

Xander can still recall that the hour it took to get home, he couldn't stop wondering who Ethan's 'little lady' was.

~<>~

Xander hadn't been beaten up again, at least for a while, but he had found new obstacles to overcome. Especially the newly out of the closet gay kid, Elijah, in his second-period class (science) in grade 11.

Elijah hadn't really talked to Xander for quite a while. Eventually, they were paired together for a project and they started to become better friends. Elijah came over to Xander's house where his parents had then proceeded to call Elijah his "boyfriend". Xander had been very embarrassed but Elijah had laughed, thrown his arm over Xander's shoulder and kissed Xander on the cheek.