Chapter 18

It was a normal, another sad day at the center. Everyone is focused on their work, trying to savor the last moments.  “You okay? You look a little pale” I asked Bailie as we were preparing food for the animals. “You should’ve taken the day off, sweetie, the weather looks bad today” Tanya said. The weather report says a storm is gonna pass by, so we’re expecting heavy rain this late afternoon. “I’m fine, thanks.” “Something’s off about her today” my inner goddess said. Anyway, I shrugged it off thinking that she just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

The center was closed early for safety precautions and most of the employees and volunteers already went home. I, on the other hand, was helping the others clean up and make sure the animals are safe during the storm. It was already raining when I decided to go home.

I braved the bad weather, just me and my umbrella, thinking “I’m almost home.”  I was walking downtown and noticed someone standing outside the café…OUTSIDE THE CAFÉ, IN THIS WEATHER. “Bailie!” I ran to her. “What do you think you’re doing?” “I was walking home when the rain started to pour and I… I forgot my umbrella.” “Okay, we all know she’s smarter than this” my inner goddess said. “C’mon! Let’s get you home.”

“Bay? I’m gonna come in, okay?” I saw her in bed all bundled up and coughing like there’s no tomorrow. “I brought your meds. You okay?” I touched her forehead, “Oh, you’re not okay.” She sat up and took her medicine. “Not that I’m torturing you by asking stupid questions while you’re sick, but, you need to spill it now.”

“What?” she asked in confusion.

“C’mon, sweetie, I know something’s wrong.”

She sighed, “here, it’s for you”’, and handed me a letter.

Rachelle,

I’m sorry I didn’t have the guts to tell you, but I had to do this. I don’t really know what the future holds for me, for us. All I know is everything is confusing right now. I’m really sorry.

Ian”

“Okay, he sucks at writing letters” my inner goddess said.

“When did he leave?”

“This morning.”

“When is he coming back?”

“I…I don’t know. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner. I’m sorry I didn’t stop him. I tried.”

“No, it’s okay. It’s not your fault. But what about you?”

“Lola will be here in two weeks, until then, I’m stuck with Jane.”

I smiled and stood up, “get some rest, okay?”

“You’re going home?”

“Do you wantme to?”

“I just…I, uhm..” she sighed, “thank you” she said and lied back down. I sat back beside her on the bed and just stayed there.

I read Ian’s letter again. “Where are you, Ian?” my inner goddess asked. “Ikaw kasi, Rachelle. Nasayo na nga, pinakawalan mo pa. Ngayong may second chance, wala ka rin ginawa” my inner goddess said again.

“KAAATTTEEEE! What should I do?” I asked my bestfriend over the phone.

“You know what? I really have this strong urge to give you a lecture right now about not telling Ian how you really feel when you’re obviously still in love with him, but I guess you get the whole point and I just feel really bad for you right now” she said.

“I wanna go after him but I don’t even know where he is.”

“Honestly, the only thing you can do right now is to wait.” Kate’s right, all I can do is to wait and hope and pray to all the gods that everything will be okay. “I just have to take it one day at a time” I told myself.

***

Ian’s side

“Welcome back to France, sir! Are we heading to some other place?” the chauffeur greeted. “No, just to the hotel, please. Thank you!”

“Hi, Clara” I greeted the girl on the other line. “So, are you here in France already?” she asked. “Yes. I’m still on my way to the hotel, actually.” “Great! I can’t wait to see you, love!”

I have big business meetings to attend here, and I also have big decisions to make. I took Clara to dinner that night. It was just a casual, typical boyfriend-girlfriend date. I can’t deny the fact that being with Rachelle gives me a different level of happiness, but I also kind of feel the same way when I’m with Clara, and that’s the confusing part. It’s not like I’m cheating on her, right? I mean, I’m not in a relationship with Rachelle. But I do think about her, a lot. I know it’s unfair for the both of them.

“Ian? Are you okay? You’re lost in thoughts again.”

“Oh. I’m sorry.” I sighed, “It’s just that I’m worried about the meetings”. God knows I lied.

“Don’t worry, you’ll do great!”

“Thanks!”

I have to make the right decisions. I don’t want to mess it up this time.