Chapter 2

“Kate, come over! It’s an emergency” I said to Kate on the phone and quickly ended the call before she could even protest. It’s Friday and I got off from work earlier. Tomorrow’s the party Ian has invited me into and I don’t think I’m ready yet.

“What’s wrong? Are you okay?” I heard Kate ask as she enters the door. “I’m fine” I said to her. “Well, then, what’s the emergency?” she asked again in all confusion. I sighed, “Ian’s company party thing is tomorrow night and I still have nothing to wear” I said to, almost making a puppy face. “This is definitely an emergency” she said. “Get ready! I’ll just have to make some calls” she commanded. “Yes, ma’am!” I followed.

“We’re taking my car, I’m driving” she ordered again. “Geez, Kate. Don’t have to bossy, really, just calm down. Let’s just go to the mall and get a nice dress or something” I said. “Nope. That is a very formal event and a very important one for the both of you. Lover boy will introduce you to his entire family and their company. You don’t really wanna look like Mother Gothel, do you?” she ranted. “No… but where are we going?” I asked. “A designer friend” and she winked. “Wait, that designer friend?” I exclaimed. “Yup. We can’t just get a dress at the mall because everyone gets dress at the mall!” she explained. “Okay then. Sounds good to me” I agreed. A best friend like Kate could really come in handy.

So we arrived at this beautiful house which happens also to be the office of Kate’s friend. I’ve met him a couple times actually, and I’ve seen his works which are amazing, so I’m pretty excited about this one. “Oh! Look at you, pretty ladies. Come in, come in!” he said in a quite a high-pitched voice. “Hey! Nice to see you again!” Kate greeted. I just greeted him with a nice smile and a little hug.

“So, got anything for my confused friend right here?” she asked. “Hey!” I protested. “Of course! You’re gorgeous friend will look even more beautiful. Follow me!” he said and we walked towards this room with just tons of dresses for every occasion. “Here are my latest collections” he said as he presented the six mannequins wearing lovely evening gowns each with different design, but with the same theme. I’ve seen them in the latest fashion week on the television. “These are beautiful!” I exclaimed. He giggled, “and you know who would look even more beautiful on them?” He held both my shoulders and made me face the full-length mirror, “you”. “Try this one” he handed me one of the evening gowns. I had no choice, I guess. I desperately needed a dress. I went into one of the fitting rooms and put on this lovely very carefully. “Oh my goodness! Look at you!” I heard him exclaimed as I went out of the fitting room. “Wow, Rachelle! You and that dress are like the perfect pair!” Kate said. “You don’t even need to put make up on” he said. I turned to the mirror and totally fell in love the dress. “This is the one” I said to them. “Yes! It’s perfect!” Kate said. The dress was quite loose, so he needed to make a few adjustments. “Don’t worry girls, this lovely piece of work will be at your house tomorrow morning” he assured.

“I think I’m having an anxiety attack, Kate” I said to her while we were driving home. “Stop. You’ll be fine. Oh, and at what time do you want the styling team at your house tomorrow?” she asked. “Well, Ian’s picking me up at 6:30, So, I think around 5pm will be good. It won’t take that long anyway” I answered.

“Why am I even nervous? It’s just a party. You’ve been to these kinds of parties before” I thought to myself. I don’t know how I’m gonna get some sleep tonight.

****

I woke up feeling a little off the next day. I probably just got too tired the past weeks – it’s been really toxic. “Hey babe!” I greeted Ian as I answered the phone. “Hey! You sound different. Are you okay?” he asked. “Oh. Yeah. I just feel a little sick. The past weeks have been really toxic but it’s all good” I explained. “Aww. Are you sure you still want to go to the party? I mean, you need some rest” he said. “I’ll be fine, babe. Don’t worry. I don’t wanna miss your big day” I answered. “Fine. Fine”, he sighed. “Make sure to take some meds, okay?” he continued. “Yes sir!” and I giggled. “I’ll see you later then!” he said. “Yup! See you later! Love you!” I said. “I love you too! Bye!” he answered back.