Chapter 7

I wanted to surprise Ian with a cake that I baked as a thank you gift for the nice little vacation we had. At lunch break, I headed out and drove to his office. As I was inside the elevator, I heard two employees gossiping. ‘I heard she’s back” said the first girl. “Really? Naku. Mukhang mahihirapan si sir niyan” said the other girl. “Ano ka ba. Madly in love na si sir, wala ng effect sa kanya yung mga moves ni girl noh.” The girl answered. I wondered who they were talking about, but I let it go.

“Hi! Is Ian there?” I asked his secretary. “Hi Ma’a Rachelle! He’s just ending his meeting in the board. You can wait inside. He’ll be there in a while.” “Okay, thanks!” As I was waiting for Ian, I heard little commotion outside. “I’m sorry ma’am, you can’t go inside” I heard the secretary say. “What do you mean I can’t go inside? Do you know who I am?” I heard a girl say. Suddenly, they were inside the office. “I’m sorry, ma’am Rachelle, I tried to stop her.” She apologized. “it’s okay” and I smiled. I’m totally feeling something different about this girl, but I tried to stay calm.

“Oh. I didn’t know he was interviewing someone today, and you are?” she said nonchalantly. “OKAY. I’M GONNA THROW THIS GIRL OUT THE WINDOW AND SHOOT HER WHILE IN THE AIR!” my inner goddess morbidly said. “I’m sorry?” and made a face. “Well, aren’t you applying for a job here?” she asked.  I giggled, “no.” “Geez. Girl must be living under a rock” my inner goddess said. “Oh well. I’m gonna introduce myself anyway. I’m Alyssa, and if you don’t who I am, I’m gonna be Ian’s future wife” she said proudly. “Woooww!” I whispered to myself. Before I could even say anything offensive about her look, Ian finally came in.  “Rachelle!” he greeted and gave me a kiss, ignoring Alyssa. She did a fake cough. “Excuse me? Ian! Why are you kissing this low-class girl?” she asked madly. “Alyssa, stop it! And who gave you permission to go in here? I thought I already banned you here. Just get out please” he said. “And if you say one more thing about my girlfriend, I will make sure a restraining order will be issued immediately. So get out” he continued. “This is not over Ian” and then she walked out.

I was bothered, but I couldn’t tell him. It looks he’s been under a lot of stress and it’s only lunch time. So, I didn’t really wanna add up to that. “You okay?” he asked. “Yeah”, I smiled, “are you?” “I am now” he said and looked at me. “Ikaw talaga! I brought you something” I said and proudly showed him the cake I made. “Wow! This looks good! Thanks, babe!” he said and gave me another kiss.

“So, care to share?” I asked as we were eating. “I’m gonna be honest with you. She used be my girlfriend way back in college. It didn’t go well. I wasn’t really in love. It was arranged. That time, I really wanted to be the best son in my dad’s eyes, so I went on with it. But I couldn’t take it any longer. I broke up with her, and there she was. She went to London for her master’s degree and have lived there ever since. Its unfortunate she’s back” he explained. “Wow!” was all I ever could say. He sighed, “I’m sorry.” “It’s okay, love” and gave him a hug.

I knew it wasn’t going to be okay. I knew this girl would bring nothing but trouble.    

“Excuse me sir, ma’am, I would just like to remind you of your 2pm meeting” the secretary said. “Yeah. Thanks!” he replied. “I guess I have to go. You still need to get ready” I told him. “You sure? I could cancel that” he said. “You are not gonna do that Mr. Bautista! I still have to go back to work anyway” I said and got my bag. “Okay then. I love you” he and gave me a kiss. “I love you too. Bye!” was my answer.

As I was waiting for the elevator, I’ve heard employees gossiping again. “I heard Alyssa met sir’s girlfriend earlier” said the first person. “Wow. I wonder how that went” said the other. “I heard his girlfriend is actually prettier than Alyssa.” “Hm. I don’t know.” I wasn’t really sure what to feel upon hearing but I was just glad the elevator finally came and I got out of that place as fast as I could.

***

One time, Ian brought me to another party again. There were some new faces and familiar ones, yes, including that girl Alyssa. Everything was going perfectly fine and I actually thought Alyssa would not bother us in any way.

“I have to go to the restroom, excuse me” I said to Ian. “Okay.” I was still inside the cubicle when I heard the door opened and heard two female voices. “Did you Ian’s date?” the first girl said. “Yeah, what do you think?” said the other. “You know, I actually thought he and Alyssa would end up together, like she’s madly in love him.” “But you have to admit; his date is prettier and even looks more sophisticated.” “I don’t think so. I mean c’mon, Alyssa’s like the perfect girl, the perfect girl he deserves.” Then they went out.

Those last words hit me right on the face.  Before I could even go out of the restroom, Alyssa came in. “Oh, it’s you again, wait, what’s your name?” she asked. “You don’t really have to know, do you?” I answered. “Well, whoever you are, I sure hope you’re enjoying your time with Ian now, because I’m getting him back for sure” she threatened. “You’re crazy!” I said. “The only person who’s crazy is you, for believing that you and Ian would actually have your happy ever after. Sorry missy, you’re not gonna get that. I’ll make sure of it” she said. “Whatever floats your boat, Alyssa” and I walked out. “GOD THIS GIRLS IS REALLY GONNA GET IT. I WANNA CHOP HER BODY OFF AND THROW EVERY PIECE IN A TIGER CAGE” my inner goddess said with passionate hate.

“You okay?”Ian asked as I got back to our table. “Babe?” he said. “Oh. Uhm, can I go home? I’m really tired. It’s fine with me if you finish the party, but I’m gonna go ahead.” I said to him. “No, it’s okay. C’mon. Let’s go” he said. “Are you sure?” I asked. He held my face, “it’s okay, my love. You’re tired. Let’s go home”, and kissed my forehead.  Once again, my ever loving boyfriend melted my heart by sweetness. “I sure do hope Alyssa’s watching this so she could just die of jealousy” my inner goddess said.