Chapter 14

It’s almost a year. I thought everything would be fine.  I was very foolish to think that I was the only girl in Ralph’s life. One day, it all came crashing down.

 “Rebound. Rebound ka lang pala” Kate said. This was the time I went to her house crying my heart out. I thought everything was going great between me and Ralph, but then it happened. I saw him and his ex-girlfriend – they were kissing each other. I confronted him about it, and he admitted it to me. He admitted that he still loves his ex-girlfriend then. We were both in the same position when met again at the gala. We both had ended our relationships then. But all this time, I never saw him as a “rebound”. I saw him as someone who can make me feel complete; someone who can make me feel like I’m good enough.

I’ve moved on, but sometimes I’d still ask myself, “Am I not made for love?” What does it have to take for me have that one true love? Or maybe I was just looking too hard? Maybe it was just there, but I was looking into something else. “Well, I guess I’ll just be that old single lady with 100 cats” my inner goddess said.

Everything’s just like a blur right now. I’m confused. Then I found myself back in Tybee again. Kate said I needed a break, so I went here. I actually thought it was a pretty good idea, but I was wrong. Every place, everywhere I turn, reminds me of Ian. “This is totally not helping. I am so over him…I think” my inner goddess said.

The next day, I decided to have brunch at my favorite café. I was next in line and thought the girl in front of me looked familiar. When she turned around, my heart leaped a little. “Bailie?” my inner goddess asked. I wasn’t quite sure because she looked a little bit different and even taller. But could it be her? If it is her, could it be that Ian is here too? “Excuse me, may I take your order now? You’re holding the line” the man at the register said. “Oh. Of course” I said apologetically.

After my brunch, I went to the marine center. It was really comforting to see everyone. It felt like home away from home. The director said I could go there anytime, and even help if I want to. “Of course, I’d love to!” I said to her. Maybe this is what I need to get my mind off some things. “I’ll start tomorrow” I continued. I still need to go to some places today, I thought.  My next stop was the pier. “Still the same” I said to myself. I walked around while drinking a smoothie to beat the heat. I was ready to get a tan though. My last stop was the church. I stood in front of it, hesitating if I should go in or not. But then, it felt like something was dragging me in and before I knew it, I was sitting inside. I inspected the place like I was new here, but I knew in my heart that this place is special. Everything was still the same, which was good. I wouldn’t want to change even a tiniest thing about this church, or even this town.

It feels nicer to be back here just for pure vacation, unlike the last time where I had to do a research. I went back to the house and decided to take a nap. Before that though, I called Kate to tell her about the girl I saw at the café. “I don’t know, Kate. I feel like it’s her but physically, it’s quite impossible. I mean, she looks different” I told her over the phone. I was staring at the “backyard beach” from my window. “Assuming that it’s her, do you think Ian’s there too?” she asked. “I don’t know. What do you think?” I said, throwing back the question to her. The beach looked a little bit different. The sand seems whiter, but I don’t know. It’s probably just the sunlight. All of a sudden, I noticed a kid walking by the shore. Although it was kinda far, I could tell that she was the girl I saw earlier at the café. It looks like she was a holding a kite. “It’s fate” I heard Kate on the other line. “What?” I asked. “It’s fate. Fate is leading you both back. I’m certain of it” she said. Suddenly, a man walked towards her. “Kate, I’m gonna have to call you back” I said to her and ended the call before she could even protest.

I’m feeling butterflies in my stomach. “Could it be?” my inner goddess asked. My heart feels like it’s going to pop out of my body. “There’s no way” I thought.  I looked intensely at them. They were flying a kite. I went downstairs to get a good look. I didn’t go outside though; afraid of what could happen if it’s really him. I stared from the window downstairs. The girl had her back turned, so I couldn’t get a good look of her, but the man was facing my direction. As soon as my eyes adjusted to the sunlight, that was it. “Ian?”