Chapter Forty-Seven

"We need to turn back right now!" I hollered the second that my eyes jolted open. My actions were frantic as I twisted to face Ed, who couldn't have found himself more confused. "Ed turn the car around now!" I demanded, instantly feeling a shortness of breath as the muscles in my chest contracted together. My palms were pouring with sweat as my entire body shuddered, tears staining my cheeks as I attempted to calm my state. 

Ed persisted to refuse, oblivious to the sheer terror reeling from my body. "Your father said under no circumstance-"

"Ed," I screeched. "Turn the fucking car around now!"

"What-"

"Luke's being tracked!" I yelled, causing Ed to slam instantly on the breaks, swerving the car to the side of the fortunately empty road. "It was never me that they were after, it's always been Luke! Legrenzi's known where he's been this whole time!"

"Adelaide!" Ed silenced me, reaching out to still my restless body. "You're not making any sense."

"I'll explain when you turn the bloody car around! We don't have the time to be stopping Ed, so fucking move the car!"

Ed winced under my tone, frantically reaching for the keys again before igniting the engine and spinning the weight of the car around in an instant.

At this point he realised I hadn't just been being over paranoid, but instead feared the life of Luke who could have been in grave danger.

"I need to call my father, where's the phone?" I questioned anxiously, scouring the area for the device before Ed chucked it my way.

"What do you mean he's being tracked?" Ed said, his voice as panic ridden as my own as he attempted to remain composed enough to drive.

"I'll explain in a minute, just let me talk to my father first. You keep driving!" I requested, dialling the number that I had mesmerized with my trembling hands. I waited in agony for the call to go through, but the other end didn't even ring, and instead I was greeted with a silent line. "It's not going through!"

"At all?"

"No! The line is dead!" I stressed. "What the fuck do we do? Ed we need to go back, we don't have any other choice! Luke stands no chance if they can see his every move! That means they fucking know! They know we tried to screw them over! They know the whole team is going to be there!"

"Adelaide," Ed called. "You need to calm down, breathe. You need a level head to think all of this through. We don't know for certain they know the unit is going to be there. If it's just Luke they've been tracking, then they're probably just thinking he's stayed with you to keep him safe?"

I nodded, my hands running over my face in pure agitation as I watched the city lights slowly fade back into view as we neared them. Ed had increased his speed rapidly, causing our car to fly through the road, bypassing every other piece of traffic on the road. "How long will it take us?"

"If I can keep going this speed, then forty minutes tops? Now can you please explain what the hell is going on?"

"I had one of my nightmares, flashbacks from the night I was put into a coma right? I was dozing in and out of consciousness, so half of it was a blur, but Bennett- I mean Luke, he found me after he'd shot the lights out. As we were making it out of the door, Legrenzi fired a shot my way, but Luke took the brunt of it-"

"We already know he was shot Adelaide?" Ed questioned, utterly perplexed as to where I was going with this.

"The bullet though! Legrenzi used a micro-bullet, one that leaves behind a chip that can be used to track the person! That's why that gunshot wound never fully healed like his other ones!"