Chapter Thirty-Five

I sat waiting impatiently for Blake to arrive, a heavy guilt consuming my thoughts after having realised just how hostile I had been towards him the night earlier, all of which had resulted in him suggesting that he should give me some space. What I had said regarding my concerns for Luke's safety, as well as mine, had been true, though my agitated self had toiled it into something that was more targeted at Blake than simply explaining how I felt, so when he eventually showed his face in the kitchen not long after eleven, it didn't surprise me that my forward actions startled him somewhat.

"Blake," I called, causing his eyes to scan the room before hesitantly landing upon mine. He made his way over to me, choosing to settle his steps a few metres from where I was sat. "I'm sorry about last night-"

"There isn't a need to be Adelaide," he urged as I shook my head.

"No no, I do," I stressed. "I shouldn't have been so rude to you last night, you hadn't done anything wrong. Rambling on at you about Luke and everything wasn't fair. I think that it was just the realisation that what we're involved in is pretty serious, and people are going to get hurt suddenly dawned on me."

"Honestly, I understand where you were coming from," Blake urged. "If I was in your position, I would have already lost my mind. You needed time to recover from your accident and focus on getting you back, but instead you were thrown into all of this, so a little breakdown as you would call it, is okay from time to time."

I smiled gratefully, "You're one of few that understands that so thank you."

"Luke pretty much drilled everything into my head before he left so I would know what to say if an appropriate time came. I may as well make the most of all of that," he laughed, though I knew that he was being utterly serious with what he was saying. "That guy has something planned for every situation."

"He does, doesn't he?" I grinned at the thought of him. "I say that yet I still can't help but worry for him."

"You've seen him in action Adelaide; you've got nothing to worry about."

"It's just everyone is trying to save me, but all I want is to save Luke," I commented quietly, my gaze dropping to my fidgeting hands.

"I think you'll find that most of us round here are actually out to save the two of you," Blake said with a ghost of a smirk. I sent him an inquisitive glance, though he dismissed it quickly, "Speaking of, he'll be on the phone soon, and I don't doubt that he'll be hankering after you."

My arms lurched out to give him a playful shove, but his body moved forward before I could and he motioned for me to follow. I did so, trailing behind until we reached my father's office, where Blake knocked heavily on the door before entering.

"There's a gap in their rotation at three forty-five am, we'll head in there," an all too familiar voice greeted me as I stepped into the room. I scanned my eyes from one wall to another, bypassing my father completely and settling my eyes upon the small devise that was emitting Luke's authoritative voice.

My father raised his head in order to glance at me briefly before he swung slightly in his chair and placed his hand firmly onto the oak table running along the length of the room.

"Boss?" Luke called after a minute or two of silence, something that resumed even following his request for my father's attention. I watched inquisitively as my father nodded his head toward the phone set in the centre of the table, picking up a pen before his eyes returned to the stack of paper in front of him. "Adelaide is there, isn't she?"

My father remained unfazed, with his attention being focused onto his work as he scribbled numerous notes down. "Luke," I said, taking a more comfortable position in the room.