Chapter Seventeen

Sheets of ivory clouds fell in cascading rundles over the incandescent seascape, the sun visible through the numerous fractures separating one cloud from another. The light glistened down onto glissading ripples in the immeasurable briny beneath us, creating folds of bright cerulean that captivated my attention. The odd white specs, presumably vessels, were the only sign of humanities invasion onto the prodigious marine life enshrouded by the mass of water they consume themselves within. At thirty thousand feet high, and counting, my mind found itself at complete ease; the sheer tranquility of this part of the world provided evidence that imperturbability was in existence. Though the same time, my mind found itself envious with the fact that it couldn't reach this sedateness.

My fears had been long subsided within my mind, the view taking control of the nausea eating away at my insides, yet I still found Luke's hand gripping my own, resting on the arm rest between us, his fingers playing absentmindedly with mine.

"Hey, I've been thinking," I said, grasping Luke's attention, as he raised his eyes from our hands to my gaze.

"Oh god,'' he laughed, sending a smirk my way.

I grinned in response, not so much at his corny joke, but more at the way his face lit up when he laughed genuine amusement visible in his eyes and the way his face uplifted.

''I ugh-" I began, but stilled not having the confidence within myself, feeling as if my request would be judged. Luke sensed my apprehension, giving my hand a gentle squeeze as his face twisted into a look of serenity, encouraging me to continue. "Do you think you'd be able to, you know, do a bit of training with me?"

"Training?'' He questioned, sceptically.

"Yeah, training. Like defence stuff, so I know what to do when we have another attack."

Luke was silent for a moment; his eyes locked on mine, though I knew his mind was elsewhere, due to the crease in his brow and the tight line his lips were set within.

"I like that idea," he began, "and to be honest, it would make me feel a lot better, because you'd know what to do in situations like the raid." He admitted, dropping his gaze back to our hands. "What kind of stuff do you mean; what do you want to learn?'' His works weren't patronising, just held pure inquisitiveness.

"Well considering I didn't even know how to hold a gun, I think that'd be a good place to start." A soft chuckle left his lips as he blew out a content sigh. "I'm more focused on wanting to be both physically fit and able to have- have your kind of mind set."

"My kind of mind set?"

I grinned at his inability to comprehend his talents. "I was petrified during the raid; I couldn't focus on anything else. But as for you, you managed to anticipate every single one of the moves that each man tried to pull. You're at the top of your game Luke."

"You just need to know what to look out for,'' Luke dismissed my complement, along with subtle shake of his head. "But yeah, we can do some training."

"Thank you."

"I'm not going to go easy on you though,'' he laughed, a lopsided grin taking over his features.

I grinned back, ''Wouldn't want it any other way."

The sun hung low in the sky, it's exhaustion from fuelling the globe for the day's entirety, pulling it further behind the horizon, leaving only a harmony of orange and yellow to paint over the indigo back drop.

Seeping through the tenebrosity, coruscating stars shadowed the light that cascaded from the crescent suspending high in the night. Visible from the lucent were flections of thriving jade were home to the stacks of hay that littered the landscape.