Chapter 17

Maggie and Alex were sitting in the car, Alex driving while Maggie was staring out the window. Maggie let out a long sigh, running a hand through her hair and turning back to face her best friend.

"I can't believe we're really doing this." Maggie said, "Most of all, I can't believe I'm doing this with you."

"Believe it or not, Sawyer. We are really driving towards the airport." Alex replied, smiling.

But it was not just a small sirk or shy grin, it was a genuine smile. It's the kind of smile that could melt the coldest heart, light up the darkest night, and make you believe that anything was possible. That smile of Alex was beautiful. In her smile only, you could already see how warm and loving Alex was.

Alex made her way down a street. Despite it being late afternoon, the streets were mostly empty.

Alex was thinking about something, about someone. Every time Maggie was near Alex, a warm sensation ran through her body and her heart thudded wildly inside of her chest. Since they had left everything behind, Alex could only think about one thing; Margaret Ellen Sawyer. Maybe this was the right time to tell her. To tell Maggie that Alex loved her. To tell Maggie that Alex wanted to be her girlfriend. To tell Maggie that Alex wanted to spend the rest of her life with her. Alex knew his was the right time to tell Maggie everything.

"Can we stop at a tankstation? I'm getting a bit hungry." Maggie asked, looking out the window.

"Of course, we'll get something to eat, okay?" Alex replied, glancing at Maggie.

"Okay." Maggie answered, "So where are we going?"

"The airport. From there, we'll take a plane to Paris." Alex explained, "How does that sound?"

"It sounds wonderful, my dear." Maggie uttered, smiling.

"Can I tell you something?" Alex asked, deciding this was the right moment.

"Of course, tell me." Maggie said.

"Although I'm leaving this town, I feel happy. And that's because I'm with you, Sawyer." Alex blabbered, "I realized that we both helped each other by being there for one another."

"That's right, girls have got to stick together." Maggie replied, chuckling.

"Maggie, I want to thank you for everything that you've done for me. Even when you had your own problems to deal with, you stayed by my side. You are so loving and caring and brave and such an inspiration." Alex said, getting a little emotional.

"I should be thanking you, Alex. You gave me a home, friends and love. That's the best thing you could ever have given me." Maggie uttered, a tear rolling down her cheek.

"Maggie, I'm falling so hard for you, you would never understand." Alex confessed, glancing at Maggie, "I'm falling so fast, and so hard, I feel like I'm going to hit rock bottom and never come up again. I feel like I'm on top of the world when I'm with you. So let me say this, I think..."

But right before the words even slipped out of her mouth, a car came out of nowhere and hit Alex and Maggie's vehicle.