chapter one | RYLEE

"He's 'trouble'? What do you mean, he's 'trouble'?" Mrs

"He's 'trouble'? What do you mean, he's 'trouble'?" Mrs. McCormick asked as she stood in front of her son's physics teacher, Ellen Jones. This would be the third time she had been called to the school regarding her son. But, like each time before, the story was the same.

Ms. Jones huffed and removed the glasses that had been sliding down her thin nose. She looked over at the only large window in her office and stared at the young man sitting obediently on the chair outside. Huffing again, she said, "Mrs. McCormick, all I ever hear is complaints from the other students about Rylee's temper. If this behaviour keeps happening, I'm going to have to expel him."

"Rylee's not a confrontational person," Mrs. McCormick defended. She knew her son, and she knew he wouldn't hurt anyone unless someone he loved was being targeted.

"Let me rephrase that: your son is doing something to make the other boys angry at him. Believe me, I've tried talking to all of them together and privately. But each story is telling me that Rylee and the other students don't get along."

Mrs. McCormick stared at her, waiting for the obvious solutions to be brought up. She knew very well that if she had been the one in charge, all of those students would have been expelled. "Have you not taken it up further?"

"I've tried, Mrs. McCormick. But you have to understand, most of these boys will be graduating soon. And most of their parents are almost finished paying for their education," Ms. Jones explained, knowing very well she would rather risk the safety of one student than her salary. "Is there anything I need to know about his home life?"

Mrs. McCormick bit her lip. Her foot began lifting and falling as she fell into deep thought. She slowly scratched her arm, hesitant to mention the daily abuse her husband put them through. The more she spoke with Ms. Jones, the more she believed the teacher didn't care about their wellbeing at all. "I'll talk to him."

"He has never looked me in the eyes either," Ms. Jones commented through the corner of her mouth. "I don't know how that's even possible, but he manages. I honestly had a row with him because it's disrespectful—"

"I'm so sorry, I can speak with him."

"Well, if it makes you feel better, I've heard positive things about Rylee from Coach Walters. He's told me Rylee comes in at night and the janitor lets him into the gym area."

Laughing at the thought of her son sneaking out at night to exercise instead of seeing a lady friend, Mrs. McCormick curiously said, "What for?"

"Boxing. Apparently, he's 'amazing'."

"Really? Rylee? A fighter?"

"The coach said he's a natural."

"Well, I've raised him not to hurt anyone, which is why I don't understand why he's being written up as being a troublemaker. Especially since I don't have any proof."