Chapter 63: Merger Details

"You ready for this, Mare?" Tristan asked as they walked toward the door to Ruth's Chris Steak House to meet for their business dinner.

"Yeah, I'm just a bit nervous. I hope they're not upset by these new revelations."

"Everything's going to be fine, I promise," Tristan said quietly, kissing her on the cheek.

They walked through the door and Rory veered off toward the bathroom, promising to meet Tristan at the bar.

"Tristan, you're here. Where's Rory?" Colin asked.

"She needed to make a quick stop on the way in, but she'll join us in a minute," Tristan replied.

"I was just about to make introductions. Chris, this is my fiancée, Stephanie Vanderpool," Colin said.

"When did this happen?" Tristan asked in surprise.

"Over the weekend, but we wanted to wait and tell everyone in person," Colin replied with a smile.

"Well, congratulations, you two," Tristan said warmly, moving to hug both Colin and Steph.

"Thank you. I'm really excited," Steph replied, smiling broadly.

"And Neil - it's great to see you, man," said Tristan as he moved to hug his long-time friend.

"You too, man. I can't wait to meet your girl," Neil replied with a smile.

"Well, you won't have to wait much longer," Tristan replied as he watched Rory walk toward them.

"Hey, how are you, sweetie?" Christopher asked as Rory approached him. He hugged her and kissed her on the cheek, and suddenly everyone was staring at them, curious as to their interaction.

"I think some introductions are in order," Christopher said, clearing his throat. "This is Neil Burke, Tristan's old roommate and one of my partners at the firm. This is Stephanie Vanderpool, Colin's fiancée, apparently - that's a new development. And this beautiful young woman is Rory Gilmore-Hayden, my daughter and Tristan's fiancé," Chris finished, looking around nervously. Tristan moved closer to Rory and wrapped his arm around her waist as everyone else stared silently.

"I'm sorry. Rory is your daughter?" Colin finally asked.

"She is," Christopher answered.

"Did you know about this, Tristan? Is that why you proposed?" asked Colin, his agitation showing.

"No, I didn't know until last weekend. Rory asked if we could have lunch with her dad while we were in Boston. I was just as surprised as you all were," Tristan said as the hostess came over to lead them to their table.

"I'm sorry - I thought you were engaged to Mary?" Neil asked.

"I am Mary, or at least that's what Tris has always called me," Rory explained, taking her seat as Tristan pulled her chair out for her.

"Well, I'll be damned. You've been in love with a Hayden for fifteen years and never knew it," Neil told Tristan with a smile.

"What does this mean for the merger?" Colin asked. It seemed as though there were five different conversations going on at once.

"The merger can still go ahead," Chris assured him.

"Wait a minute. The contract says that your daughter retains twenty-five percent of the new firm. That with Tristan's twenty-five percent means that she and Tristan would have control of the firm?" Colin questioned.

"Yes, that's right," Tristan answered quietly, holding his breath to see how everyone would react.

"I'm sorry, this is just a bit much to wrap my head around," Colin replied, thinking over the ramifications of this newest revelation.

"I swear, I had no idea, Colin. This doesn't change anything," Tristan reassured him.

"Tristan is correct - it was quite the shock for both of us last weekend. He and Rory both offered to bow out, but my mother is adamant that the merger continue as negotiated. She wasn't aware of the connection either until this week," replied Chris.

They all sat silently for a minute, an awkward tension having taken over the table.

"So, congratulations, you two," Rory said, turning toward Colin and Steph and trying to lighten the atmosphere.

"Thanks, girly. It's very exciting news," Steph gushed.

"It must be something in the water - that's three engagements this week," Tristan joked.

"Oh, who else?" Steph asked.

"Umm...my mom and Luke, actually," Rory answered softly, watching her dad to see his reaction. His face fell for a moment, but he quickly schooled his features and recovered.

"Oh wow, that's...well, congratulations are in order. I guess I can tell her myself this weekend, huh?" Chris said.

"Yeah, you can," Rory answered, her heart breaking for her dad. He'd never gotten over Lorelai, even after their ill-fated marriage.

"Well, I'll make certain that I pass along my well wishes," replied Chris.

"So," Neil said, clearing his throat to change the subject, "I can't believe that Tristan finally found his Mary. You have no idea how lovestick that guy was in college. I have to know, were you really the only girl to resist his charm in high school?"

"I think I was," Rory chuckled.

"It wasn't for lack of trying on my part," Tristan cut in.

"No, that's true," Rory agreed.

"I heard you shot him down when he asked you to a dance and again when he asked you to a concert and then you ran away crying when he kissed you at a party," Neil joked.

"All true, I'm afraid," Rory said with a laugh.

"Man, you were pitiful," Neil said, teasing Tristan.

"She's wearing my ring now, isn't she?" Tristan replied, his eyes dancing as he looked at Rory.

"I am. I love you, Tris," Rory whispered, leaning over to kiss him.

"I love you, too, Mare."

"Okay, you two are nauseating. Chris and I have to sit across from two blissfully happy, engaged couples. Meanwhile, we're both divorced bachelors. Please tell me that there will be some single ladies at this engagement barbecue at your house," Neil begged.

"Actually, there will be, but you'd better be on your best behavior," Tristan warned him. "College Neil had better not make an appearance. They're all friends of ours, and we'd like to keep it that way."

"I can't believe you'd even think that, man. I'm not that guy anymore; I haven't been since long before I got married," Neil shot back.

"You know, I invited a friend from my new job that I think you might get along with. I'll introduce you two," Rory added.

"Excellent. It's been far too long since I've met anyone worth spending time with, and since Tristan has snatched you up I'll have to settle for someone else," Neil smirked.

"Hey, no hitting on my fiancée, man!" Tristan admonished him.