Chapter 4: Finding Plan B

"Taylor, I've presented you with all of the pertinent numbers and information that you need in order to pay me for my services as the editor of the Gazette. I'm providing a service, and that service has value," Rory reiterated.

She had been volleying back and forth with Taylor Doosey for almost a hour, and she didn't feel like she was making anymore progress. Frankly, she wanted to bang her head on her desk repeatedly, but she didn't figure that would help her case at all.

"And I've explained to you repeatedly that I will not budge on this issue, Miss Gilmore. I made it clear when you accepted the position that there would be no salary associated with said position. If you don't like it, you are welcome to quit and we'll close the doors to your beloved Gazette," Taylor told her.

She felt momentary guilt and like it was her responsibility to stay so that the Gazette could continue to operate, but then she remembered Tristan's pep talk from right before her meeting with Taylor. "You're an amazing journalist, Mary. You have a bright future, and you don't need to feel like this is your only option. Go in there and show him your worth, and if it won't see it then you have to decide for yourself whether or not you think you're worth more. I can tell you that I know for certain that you're worth more." She took a deep breath and decided that even if she didn't feel like she was worth more than that, she needed to stand up for herself.

"That simply isn't acceptable, Taylor. The numbers don't lie; the Gazette brings in enough to justify paying me."

"I've made my decision. Your position will remain unpaid," Taylor insisted.

Rory took a deep breath and gave herself a silent pep talk.

"Then I'm afraid that I'm giving two weeks notice, Taylor. Best of luck to you in finding another editor."

"Then I suppose we'll just have to close the Gazette," Taylor threatened snidely.

"I'll make certain that the other two employees know that they're losing their jobs because their town selectman is stubborn; they should know that before casting their votes in the next election," Rory shot back.

Taylor replied as his face went pale.

"Well, I never! You are more like your mother every day," Taylor accused.

"I should be so lucky as to be like my mother," Rory replied tersely, opening the door and showing Taylor out. She steadied her breathing for a moment and picked up her phone to send Tristan a text message.

Didn't go so well. He refused to pay me, so I gave my two weeks notice. I know I should feel good about standing up for myself, but I really don't right now. -R

I'm proud of you, Mare. You did the right thing. I was at an alumni board meeting today and heard about a job at Yale that would be perfect for you. I'll e-mail you the info. Still on for our run and dinner tonight? -T

Yep, I'll see you after work. -R

Rory opened her laptop and opened her e-mail to find that the promised message from Tristan was already waiting on her. She clicked the link and read through the information. It was an Internal Communications Writer for the Yale School of Medicine. She read through the job description quickly.

Develops and implements a communications strategy that increases awareness and visibility of the medical education programs and initiatives at Yale School of Medicine. Reporting to the Deputy Dean for Education, the Director of Communications will be responsible for producing high-quality written content for websites, newsletters and announcements that describe, explain and highlight the important programs, services, events, innovations and achievements of medical education at the School of Medicine.