Chapter 20: Good Things Are Happening

After wandering for the better part of an hour, Rory got back in her car and steered it toward Hartford. She was singing along to the radio, about halfway home, when a New Haven number that she didn't recognize called. She muted the radio and answered the call using her car's bluetooth.

"Rory Gilmore," she answered professionally.

"Ms. Gilmore, this is James Godwin."

"Mr. Godwin, I didn't expect to hear from you so soon," Rory said nervously. Was it good or bad that he was calling so quickly?

"Well, it normally takes us a bit longer to come to a consensus, but the panel was in agreement that you were the best candidate for the job. I know we discussed specifics, other than salary, at the interview. We would like to offer you $68,000 a year to begin with yearly increases. Would you like to take some time to consider our offer and get back with me?"

"No, sir, that's not necessary. I am delighted to accept your offer," Rory answered happily.

"Excellent, Ms. Gilmore. When would you be available to start?"

"How about July 5th? That should give me time to get settled somewhere a bit closer to New Haven."

"Perfect. I will email your contract to you so that you can read over the details and we'll see you on July 5th, Ms. Gilmore. Welcome back to Yale."

"Thank you, sir. I look forward to my first day."

Rory hung up the phone and couldn't help but scream in excitement. Finally, after feeling like she was adrift for so long, things were turning around. She had a job, an amazing boyfriend, she was writing a book. She only had to think for a minute before deciding to surprise Tristan at work and calling her mom's number.

"Hey there, Loin Fruit," Lorelai answered the phone.

"I'm going to let that one slide because I'm in such a good mood, but you know how much I hate that nickname, Mom," Rory chuckled.

"Alright, I'll bite. What's got you in such a good mood?"

"I got the job!" Rory exclaimed. "I just had the interview this afternoon, and they already called and I accepted their offer!"

"Oh, kid, I'm so happy for you," Lorelai replied sincerely. "When do you start? How much did they offer you?"

"I start July 5th. They offered me $68,000, and I accepted. That should be plenty for me to be able to find my own place in New Haven, or somewhere closer to Yale."

"You're...you're moving? Closer to Yale? It's only about an hour and a half commute, Ror," Lorelai replied, suddenly sounding much less happy.

"I need to, Mom. I don't want to spend three hours every day commuting between work and home. I won't be that far at all. Look on the bright side, I'll be within easy driving distance for a visit."

"I know, Ror. It's just...I just got you back home again."

"Mom, I'm thirty-two years old. It's time for me to be on my own," Rory said in an attempt to soothe her mother.

"You're right; I guess I'm just still not ready to let go. Can you come visit this weekend please?"

"Of course. I'll come up Friday and we can have a Gilmore girls movie night, and then Tristan can come on Saturday so you guys can meet him," Rory offered.

"Can't you come any sooner? You could drive here now and I could take the next two days off so we could spend more time together."

"I can't, Mom. Grandma's in town, and Tristan and I are having dinner with her tomorrow night," Rory said hesitantly.

"My mother gets to meet Tristan before I do?" Lorelai asked, her unhappiness with the situation showing through in her reply.

"Not intentionally, Mom. She was already going to be in town and called to have dinner with me, and when she found out that Tristan and I were dating she asked me to bring him to dinner, too."

"Well, I need to get back to work; Inn stuff calls. I'll see you this weekend, kid," Lorelai said quickly before hanging up.

Rory frowned for a moment at her mom's reaction. Lorelai seemed to be particularly unhappy lately, and it came into play in all of their conversations. She was beginning to feel as though her decisions and life wouldn't make her mom happy unless she was there in Stars Hollow and spending all of her time with her mom. She sighed in frustration and made a quick decision not to let it affect her mood. She dialed Tristan's secretary and waited for an answer.

"Mr. Dugrey's office."

"Hi, Mindy. It's Rory. I wanted to surprise Tristan, so don't let him know I called. Did he have lunch today? I know I had to cancel on him."

"No, he was too busy to go grab anything," Mindy answered.

"Excellent. I'll be there shortly. Again, don't tell him so I can surprise him," Rory said.

"See you soon."

Rory disconnected and pulled into Tristan's favorite Italian restaurant in Hartford. She quickly ordered both of their favorites and walked to the market a few doors down to grab a bottle of champagne and two glasses while she was waiting. After she'd picked up the food she drove to his office and was relieved when Mindy told her that he was in Colin's office at the moment. She walked quickly into his office and shut the door behind her as she began setting out their early dinner. She had just finished when she heard Tristan's voice outside the door. She smiled as she heard him and turned and sat on his desk facing the door.

"Mindy, if Miss Gilmore calls, please put her call through right away. I'm expecting to hear from her anytime."

"Yes, sir, Mr. Dugrey."

The doorknob turned and Rory smiled as she saw Tristan's face light up and his jaw drop when he saw her in his office.

"Mare? What are you doing here? I wasn't expecting you."

"Oh? Well, I can leave if you'd prefer," Rory teased.

"No way! So, what do I have to thank for this impromptu visit?"

"Well, I came to tell you that I have to move," Rory answered coyly.

"You...you what? Where to?" Tristan asked quickly, obviously unhappy with the idea of her not being close to him.

"To somewhere closer to my new job!" Rory exclaimed happily.

"That's great, Mare. Where are you...wait, did you say your new job? You got the job?" Tristan asked happily.

"I did! I spent some time on campus after my interview, and they called me when I was about halfway home and offered me the job."

"I'm so proud of you, baby!" Tristan said happily. He picked her up and twirled her around the room before setting her back down on her feet and kissing her thoroughly. "What's all this?" he asked when he noticed the spread on his desk.

"I thought we could celebrate with an early dinner."

"Mmm...do I get dessert, too?" Tristan asked huskily.

"Maybe if you're a good boy..."