Chapter 11: Sunday Drive

"Have you got everything you need?" Tristan asked Rory the next morning as she was getting ready to leave to go visit Paris and Doyle.

"I'm pretty sure I have everything, and I'm only going to be gone for one night," Rory laughed.

"Hey, far be it from me to be helpful," Tristan teased.

"I appreciate you very much, Tris. You've been amazing."

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you? I don't mind," Tristan offered.

"I'll be fine, really. I've driven to Paris's dozens of times."

"Just...be careful, okay? I just got you in my life again; I'd like you to come back to me in one piece."

"Aw, are you gonna miss me, Tris?" Rory teased.

"I have grown rather attached already," he admitted with a blush.

"Well, I promise that I will come back safely," Rory promised seriously. It was nice that Tristan cared enough to worry about her.

"I'm going to hold you to that promise. Drive safely, and call me to let me know that you got there okay, please."

"I'll call the minute I pull into her driveway."

Rory walked over to Tristan and wrapped her arms around him, resting her head on his chest as he held her for a moment.

"You know," Tristan began mischievously, pulling back far enough that he could look her in the eyes, "I seem to remember that you owe me a kiss goodbye from about fifteen years ago."

"Is that so?" Rory chuckled. "And you want to collect now? Isn't there some kind of statute of limitations that applies?"

"Nope, it's still a legal debt," Tristan reassured her.

"Well, far be it from me to remain delinquent any longer," Rory replied with a coy smile.

Tristan pulled her flush against him and pressed his lips to hers, gently claiming her mouth in a passionate kiss.

"If I'd known your goodbye kisses were like that I would have insisted you kissed me anyway before you left for military school," Rory whispered with a content smile on her face.

"Well, there's more where that came from anytime you'd like, Mare."

Tristan walked Rory to her car and opened the door for her, leaning in to give her one more sweet kiss before he shut the door.

"Have fun with Paris, Mary," he said with a smile through the open window.

"Don't have too much fun without me, Bible Boy. I'll call you as soon as I get there," Rory returned before pulling out of the driveway.

She smiled as she steered her car toward the interstate and cranked up her radio. Adult Tristan was a total surprise, in a good way. He was so thoughtful and sweet, but she could also still see parts of seventeen-year-old Tristan that she liked in there, too. She wanted so badly to take a chance on him, but there was something that she couldn't pinpoint holding her back. She flipped through her radio presets and smiled as she stopped on "The Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran. She couldn't help but think back to dancing with Tristan at the club Friday night. She was suddenly reminded of the feeling of his hands on her hips and his strong arms around her. She sang along to the lyrics as she remembered the feelings that he evoked in her.

About half an hour into her drive, her phone rang. She glanced at the display on the radio to see that it was her mother calling. She braced herself for whatever Hurricane Lorelai may bring and hit the talk button, thankful that her car had Bluetooth.