Chapter 25: Happy Wife, Happy Life

Tristan had slept lightly Friday night, hyperaware of Rory's every move and sniffle in her sleep. He was concerned about her emotional state after the conflict with her mom and the new version of her recurring nightmare. He woke as soon as he felt her stirring in his arms early Saturday morning, and couldn't help but smile as she burrowed further into him.

"Morning, Tris," she said, her voice still heavy with sleep.

"Morning, baby. How are you feeling this morning?"

"Eh," she said noncommittally. "I feel better being in your arms, but my head is all jumbled and I can't make sense of my thoughts. Would you go for a run with me?" she asked.

"You do know it's five o'clock in the morning, don't you? I don't mind running this early, but you usually like to sleep a little later."

"I know, but I just...I need to clear my head, and that always works."

Tristan chuckled and shook his head at the beautiful woman next to him.

"How many times have you exercised this week?" he asked teasingly.

"I think I've run four times and gone to the gym three times, why?" Rory asked.

"Why? Because Miss Rory "I Don't Exercise" Gilmore has turned into an exercise fanatic," Tristan continued joking.

"Well, it's all your fault, mister!" Rory huffed as she giggled at the entire exchange. She loved that their conversations could go from serious to joking so quickly and easily.

Tristan kissed her briefly and stood up, helping her up after him.

"Let's get changed and we can run around this insane asylum town of yours."

They both changed into workout clothes quickly and walked out of Rory's room to find Luke getting ready to leave for the day.

"Oh hey, Luke. Sorry, we were just about to go for a run," Rory said sheepishly.

"No need to apologize, Rory. Your mom mentioned that you'd been running," Luke replied.

"Yeah, it just helps me clear my head and deal with stress. Someone says I've become a bit of an addict," she said pointedly as she nudged Tristan in the side. "Oh, where are my manners? Luke, this is my boyfriend, Tristan Dugrey. Tristan, this is my mom's boyfriend and a long-time father figure in my life, Luke."

The two men greeted each other with handshakes.

"I'm just going to step into the bathroom for a minute and I'll be right back."

Rory walked into the bathroom and closed the door behind her, leaving the two men in the kitchen alone.

"I apologize for last night, Luke. She called me upset and I couldn't think of anything other than getting here to be with her," Tristan said sheepishly.

"Hey, there's no reason to apologize. From what I saw last night, you're exactly what she needed. You love her," Luke said, more of a statement than a question.

"Very much, sir. I would do anything for that woman," Tristan replied instantly.

"Good. Lorelai's going through some...stuff right now. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but she's struggling, and it's obviously taking a toll on her relationship with Rory. I'm glad that she has you in her life. Lorelai may not be a fan of you yet, but as far as I'm concerned, you're the best thing that's happened to Rory in a long time."

"Thank you, sir. I've waited a long time for this chance, and I have no intentions of screwing it up," Tristan assured the older man just before Rory walked back out into the kitchen.