Chapter 53: Meet the Family

"They're going to love you, I promise," Tristan reassured Rory as they walked toward where his aunt and uncle's boat was docked. He continued to watch her as she bit her lip and stopped her, pulling her into his arms.

"Hey, look at me," Tristan said gently, waiting for her to make eye contact. "My family is so excited to meet you, baby. We're going to have a great night together, okay?"

Rory nodded and gave a small smile. "I hope so. It's just...when I met Logan's family, they were really critical of our relationship. It wasn't a good experience at all," Rory whispered, laying her head on his chest and breathing him in. Something about being in his arms made her feel calmer.

"This will be nothing like that, I guarantee it. You already know Abby and her family, and they love you. I promise that tonight will be a great night."

He bent down and caressed her cheek and then kissed her tenderly.

"Thank you, Tris," she whispered when they broke apart. "I'm going to quit over thinking things and try to enjoy myself."

"That's my girl," Tristan replied as he led her the rest of the way to where the yacht was docked. Tristan helped her aboard and Rory was immediately met by Kayla flying into her arms. Abby had seen Tristan and Rory boarding the yacht and had let Kayla go down to meet them.

"Aunt Mary!" Kayla squealed. Rory laughed and hugged Kayla.

"Hey there, sweet girl. How's my favorite niece?" Rory asked. True, Kayla wasn't actually her niece, but if she was Aunt Rory, she would claim Kayla, too.

"I'm just so excited to spend the day with you!" Kayla replied.

"Well, let's go introduce her to everyone, shall we?" Tristan asked.

Tristan and Kayla flanked Rory, each holding one of her hands, and led her to the upper deck where the family was currently congregating. As soon as they walked onto the deck, everyone turned to look at them.

"They're all staring at me," Rory whispered to Tris.

"They're just excited to meet you. Come on," he replied, guiding her to where everyone was standing.

"Hey, everyone. Happy Fourth of July," Tristan greeted his family. "Everyone, this is Rory. Mary, this is my mom and Dad, Michelle and Chandler."

"Oh, I'm so delighted to meet you, dear! Tristan has told us so much about you," Michelle gushed as she embraced Rory.

"It's so great to meet you as well. Thank you for inviting me along today," Rory replied.

"Well, of course! According to Kayla you're already family," Michelle joked. She let go of Rory and Chandler moved in and hugged her briefly.

"We're glad you could join us today, Rory," Chandler told her.

"I'm thrilled to be here. Well, a little nervous, but mostly thrilled," Rory chuckled, causing everyone else to laugh as well.

Tristan took her hand and moved over to his aunt and uncle. "And this is my Uncle Max and Aunt Charlotte, although we all call her Charlie."

"Thank you both so much for having me - you have a beautiful yacht," Rory told Max and Charlie.

"We're happy to have you. You'll have to pardon me, though. I think I may be confused. I thought Tristan said your name is Rory, but he calls you Mary?" Charlie asked.

Rory nudged Tristan in the side and gave him a teasing look.

"Do you remember the "Mary" that Tristan was constantly going on about back in high school? Well, he's finally gotten another chance with his first love. This is the infamous Mary," Chandler explained, causing Rory to blush deeply. Tristan just laughed and wrapped his arm around her.

"This is the Mary?! You were right, her eyes are captivating," Charlie mused. "I remember hearing you go on and on about them."

"He's also apparently quite fond of my ear, at least to hear our teacher tell the story. He got in trouble once for staring at it in class instead of paying attention," teased Rory.

"I knew I shouldn't have let you meet my family," Tristan groaned.

"You know, I don't remember the conversation going that way. I think you were excited and told me that they would love me," Rory said with a smile.

"And he would be correct. Anyone who can keep up with that one is excellent in our books," Charlie replied with a laugh as she pointed toward Tristan.

"And here I thought you loved me, Mare," Tristan whined.

"Oh, I do love you very much." She had always enjoyed their playful banter.

"But you hurt my feelings?" he teased.

"Do you need me to kiss it and make it better, baby?"

"I thought you'd never offer," Tristan replied before taking her in her arms and kissing her thoroughly.

"Oh my gosh, Abby. You were right - they are adorable together!" Michelle exclaimed. "Tristan, I've never seen you like this."

"Let's try not to embarrass me tonight, okay?" Tristan chuckled.

"I'm not making any promises. Now, Rory, all of the women were just going to head to the back deck for some wine. Would you please join us, dear?" Michelle asked.

"Yeah, that would be great," Rory replied with a smile. She leaned up and kissed Tristan and then went to follow Michelle and Charlie.

"Can I go with Aunt Mary, Mommy?" Kayla asked her mom.

"Of course, sweetie. You guys go ahead and I'll be right there; I just need to talk to Uncle Tristan for a minute," replied Abby.

The ladies all headed off toward the back deck, which had a covered seating area, and Abby pulled Tristan to the side.

"Here you go, little brother. It's gorgeous. Have you decided how you're going to do it yet?" Abby asked, putting the ring box in Tristan's hand.

"Yeah, I think I'm good. I'm just nervous and ready to put my plan into action. I need to hear her say yes and then I'll relax," he admitted.

"She's going to say yes, Tristan; she loves you," Abby reassured him.

"I know she loves me. It's just a little surreal to realize that we're here now and that she wants to marry me."

"How are you going to do it? Is it going to be tonight?" Abby asked excitedly.

"No way - this is between Rory and me. You're not getting any details until after," Tristan insisted.