Chapter 61: Let the Hijacking Begin

"You okay there, Mare?" Tristan asked as he put the car in park. They were sitting in front of Francine Hayden's home in Hartford. Christopher had encouraged Rory to visit his mom and share the good news, insisting that she would be delighted to see Rory and hear of the engagement.

"Yeah, I'm just nervous. I've only met her once, and it didn't go well at all," Rory said quietly.

"Everything will be okay, baby. If things aren't going well, we'll make our excuses and leave," Tristan promised her.

"You're right. She wants to get to know me, so surely she'll be nicer this time. Let's do this," Rory agreed. Tristan exited the car and walked to her side, helping her out of the car. They rang the doorbell and were greeted by the maid who showed them into the sitting room where Francine Hayden was waiting along with her younger granddaughter, Gigi.

"Rory, I'm so delighted that you called. Please, come in and make yourself comfortable," Francine greeted Rory and Tristan. "Tell me, who is this young man with you today?"

"This is my fiancé, Tristan Dugrey. Tristan, this is my grandmother, Francine Hayden, and my half - sister, Gigi Hayden," replied Rory as she and Tristan took a seat on the lounge across from Francine and Gigi.

"Of the Hartford Dugreys, I assume?" Francine asked.

"Yes, ma'am. Chandler and Michelle are my parents," Tristan answered politely.

"And how did you two meet?" asked Francine.

"Tristan and I actually went to Chilton together, and we reconnected earlier this year. He actually just proposed on the Fourth of July," Rory shared.

"That's wonderful news! Have you two made any decisions regarding the wedding as of yet? I would be delighted to use my connections to help you get the Rose Room; it would be a lovely venue for a society wedding," Francine said excitedly.

"Oh, I'm not sure about that. To be honest, neither of us really want a huge society event; we are planning to keep it smaller and more intimate," Rory said. She should have expected that this would occur.

"Oh, dear. That really isn't appropriate for someone of your status, is it? This wedding will unite three of the most prominent families in Hartford; there are certain expectations," said Francine.

"Rory and I will make some decisions regarding the wedding soon, and we'll let everyone know what we've chosen. It's very important to us that our wedding reflects us. We don't want our wedding day to become a glorified business dinner. We'll let you know if there's anything you can help with," Tristan said firmly, hoping to put an end to the conversation.

"Certainly, I understand. If you decide you'd like our help, I'm sure Emily and I can plan everything for you. Just let us know, dear," Francine replied.

"Of course. So, Gigi, are you excited to start Chilton this year?" asked Rory, thankful to be able to change the subject.

"I'm actually a little nervous. I've never gone to a school like Chilton before, so I don't know what to expect," Gigi admitted.

"Well, Tristan and I will be here for anything that you need. That's one really good part of you living here now - we'll get to spend more time together," Rory replied.

"Would you take me to play golf sometime, maybe? I've always wanted to learn to play," Gigi asked.

"Golf? Yeah, I'd love to," replied Rory.

Tristan and Rory stayed until early afternoon, visiting over tea. Rory and Francine discovered that they had many things in common, and by the end of the visit everyone was relaxed and excited to get together again.