Chapter 8 - Just Like That

'Cause I got issues
But you got 'em too
So give 'em all to me
And I'll give mine to you
Bask in the glory
Of all our problems
'Cause we got the kind of love
It takes to solve 'em
Yeah, I got issues
And one of them is how bad I need you

—Issues, Julia Michaels

CHAPTER EIGHT 

We had a trade show today which went excellently, putting the staff in a great mood. We had been doing final preparations since the last two days and the work had been non-stop. Networking was crucial for the business to gain new customers. We had bagged some really big clients and had a few important meetings scheduled in the next couple of days. We had left work a bit early after the show as work was going to be more hectic the next few days.

I was in my hotel room wondering if I should text Evan. Our conversations  had recently been short and strictly work related and although I was still slightly pissed at him, I wouldn't really mind his company right now. I was spinning my phone in my hands, contemplating on what to do when I heard a knock on my door.

I frowned, climbing out of my bed. I didn't remember ordering any room service. I opened the door to find the corridors empty. My eyes shifted downwards and I saw a black box wrapped with cream colored satin ribbons resting in front of me.

My eyebrows lifted up in surprise. I quickly bent down and picked it up. Worst, there could be a bomb inside. Best, a million dollars? I brought it to my ears and shook it slightly, concluding that it had neither of those. I glanced down the hallway before shutting the door and bringing the box inside with me.

I pursued my lips, suddenly realising that I had a smile on my face. I opened the knot meticulously, my eyes widening when I saw what was inside.

Evan Carter never fails to astonish me.

A vintage, black velvet dress, exuding class and splendor. It had a sweetheart neckline and was backless. I could tell it was expensive. I told out the note stuck to the back of the box in curiosity.

"Be ready in an hour. Looking forward to proving you something tonight."

- Evan.

I just couldn't stop smiling. I knew he was talking about the conversation we had in his room's balcony. I didn't think it meant anything to him. I had assumed that he was simply messing with me. Yet now here I was, with a stupid grin plastered on my face, refusing to leave.

I took my time getting ready. I really wanted to look my best tonight. Was this a date? I applied a dark shade of lipstick, wondering what this meant for us. I knew Evan was attracted to me physically too, but could there be a possibility for more? Where was he taking me? Could it be a fancy restaurant? Most men I had dealt with before would take me someplace nice for dinner and I would have to pretend to enjoy it. There wasn't anything wrong with that, but it was always the same. They would try to impress me with cheesy lines and I would have to flatter them with fake laughs.

I shook my head, trying to get rid of the questions clouding my mind. Evan was already driving me insane. I didn't know what scared me more—the fact that I was actually looking forward to tonight or that I wasn't upset for feeling that way at all.

A knock on the door prompted me to take one final look at myself in the mirror to check if my makeup and hair was alright. It was perfect and I had no reason to stall any further.