Chapter 2 - What I Want

I want money and all your power, all your glory

Hallelujah, I wanna take you for all that you got
Hallelujah, I'm gonna take them for all that they got”

— Money Power Glory, Lana Del Rey

CHAPTER TWO

I entered my apartment, exhausted from the night I had. It certainly didn't go as I expected.

My apartment was of a generous size, but it was perfect for me. It was spacious and minimalistic. I only had what's essential; nothing more, nothing less. It was just a temporary house for me afterall. I kept moving from time to time and had lived in various different houses. Houses, not homes. I could never call any of these apartments my home. But I had gotten used to not having one and it didn't bother me anymore.

I changed into some pyjamas, then picked up my phone and dialled a familiar number. My door bell rung just moments later. Standing outside was the only person I trusted, the only family and friend I had.

"I didn't expect you to be back so early. How did the first step of Mission Evan Carter go?" Ella asked as she invited herself inside the house. I closed the door behind me before taking a seat on the couch across her.

Ella was renting the apartment across mine so we were currently neighbors. We had both been working together since the very beginning, but I had known her even longer. We had basically grown up in the same house. She was a computer genius and a skilled hacker. She created fake identities for me after every con, was a master in online scams and knew how to use any sensitive information I gathered from my targets to our advantage, without leaving behind any traces. Without her, I would've never been able to do any of this.

"His hands were on my waist and mine on his shoulders. That's how we met." I replied bitterly, cringing at the memory.

"WHAT?" Ella practically yelled. "So soon? What the hell happened?"

I chuckled in amusement. "It's not like that."

I explained everything to her— from purposely crashing into Evan to momentarily losing my ability to think and then finally throwing my drink on his face in anger.

She listened to me quietly, her eyes widening with every word I said. I then leaned back on the couch, waiting for her to process all the information I had dumped on her.

"That...is not how we planned it. You never mess up. What happened?"

"I don't know. He was...ridiculously gorgeous." I forced out. "And mean. Definitely mean. He had some nerves, speaking to me like that, with so much arrogance. I wasn't thinking straight. I just lost it for a moment."

"And a lot happened in that moment." Ella pointed out. "He seems like a self-absorbed douche bag, so a perfect choice, but he hates you now. I doubt a sob story or some charms will work on him now now."

I showed my agreement with a nod of my head. Sob stories were my favorite because men love helping damsels in distress, but I doubt it would melt Evan. And it definitely would not fool him so easily. As for charms, I had felt the tension between us, but our moment was too fleeting to tell if it was attraction or just pure despise. I wasn't sure if that would be enough either because it was certain that he was used to being seduced by attractive, perhaps bolder women than me who were more willing than I was. More compliant. Which is why I needed to stand out to him to get his attention.

If I wanted him, I'd have to beat fire with fire. That is what made this one unique. Fun.

"I think we should forget about him and target someone else, someone easier. He would've been too risky anyways." Ella got up and walked over to the kitchen area. I followed her absent-mindedly, lost in my thoughts.