Part Three - Chapter 23

Start from the beginning

“Her?” he asked, his eyebrows going up. 

“I didn’t know about her either,” I said.  “And I kind of liked her.  Not anymore, though.”

“Who do you think she was working with?” he asked.  “I didn’t see who got me.”

“I don’t know, but I’ll try and message Kade or Roth.  It’s not like they’re not looking for us.”

I tried to turn on my interface.  My vision blurred for a moment, and then red letters came up.  Disconnected.

I hit the glass wall again and it just repaired itself.  “They disconnected me,” I said through my teeth. 

“Who are these people?” Orion asked, walking up the glass wall.  He put his hand up to it.  “Headquarters has this kind of glass.  If it gets damaged, it just repairs itself.  Kind of like you.”

“There’s got to be a weak spot,” I said.

“There are no weak spots,” he said.  “Again, like you.  You can try to break it, but it’ll just keep on repairing itself.  The mirror behind you is probably the same.”

“It’s one way glass,” I said.  “I can see straight through it.”

He shook his head and smiled.  “Of course you can,” he said. 

“Hold on,” I said, cocking my head to the side.  “Someone’s coming.”

“Do you know who has us?” he asked.

“Shh,” I said, and listened again.

Footsteps were coming down a hallway.  The metal door going into my cell started to unlock.  It sounded like it was on an electronic lock.  And when the door swung in, I saw who was standing behind it.  I let Nash come in and the door shut behind him before I was in his face.

“So this is who has us,” I said through my teeth, my face just inches away from his.  “Division Sixteen.”

“Rayney,” he said, his gaze locked with mine. 

“Nash,” I said, and put my hands on his chest.  I shoved him so hard he flew back into the door and crumpled onto the ground.

I started toward him again as he was standing up.  I wrapped my hand around his throat and hoisted him up in the air, slamming him against the door again. 

“Why did you guys do this?” I asked. 

He looked at me with wide eyes, gasping for air.  His fingers tried to pry mine off of his neck.  He gasped again, trying to say something.  I let go of him, making him fall to the ground again, and took a step back.

“Go ahead, tell me,” I said. 

“We’ve been planning to break you out for the past two weeks, ever since the day we saw you at Keenan’s,” he said, coughing.  “Bailey planned to go to Division Five with you so she’d be able to get you out and we could bring you here.”

“You do know they’re going to be coming for us, right?” I asked.  “And who knows what’s going to happen to all of you.  And where the hell are we?  This can’t be Division Sixteen.”

“It is,” he said, leaning back against the door.  

I turned and walked toward the back wall.  And when I turned back to him, I noticed his eyes scanning over me.  I walked toward him and knelt in front of him.

“Do you like what you see?” I asked.  “The outfit’s a bit much, don’t you think?  It’s surprisingly comfortable, though.  So are the boots, even with the five inch heels.”  He turned his eyes away from me.  I grabbed his face in one hand and made him look at me.  “You haven’t answered my question.”