Chapter 16

Chapter 16

“Something’s up between the two of them again,” Xander said as Kade and I walked down the stairs.  He and Loryn were the one ones sitting at the table.  Lysander must have been out because he was nowhere in the room.  “And it must be something good because they’re both smiling and not fighting like they have been.”

“Shut up,” I said, smacking the back of his head lightly as I passed him. 

“I’m right, though,” he said.  “I know I am.”

“If I tell you you’re right, will you shut up them?” Kade asked.

“Sure,” he said, smiling.  “If you tell me.”

“Okay, then.  You’re right,” I said.

“I told you I’m always am,” he said.

Just then the front door opened, and Lysander walked in.  He was carrying a cloth bag, the one that my grandma had given him before we left out of Chicago.  He walked over to the table and then turned it over, pouring out vegetables of all kinds.

“Does anyone want me to make soup?” he asked.  “We’ve still got the other, but I think I should make a new pot.  It’ll be better.”

“Sure,” I said.  “I’m feeling hungry now.”

“You haven’t eaten anything since yesterday morning,” Kade said, sitting down beside me.  “You should have been starving hours ago.”

“I was, so I came down and got some bread,” I said. 

“I didn’t hear you get up,” he said.

“That’s because you were still asleep against the wall beside my door,” I said. 

“Oh,” he said.  “That could explain it.”

“Yep,” I said, smiling at him.  He smiled back.

While the water in the pot started boiling onto of the wood burning stove, we all helped Lysander cut up all of the vegetables to put in it.  Once we were done and they were all in the boiling water, he put in a few spices that I didn’t recognize and then sat back down at the table.

“So,” he said.  “We really didn’t get to talk a lot when you first got here yesterday.  What have you been doing?  How are your sister and grandma?”

“They’re okay.  I can’t say that for the rest of the people of Chicago, though,” I said.

“So it did happen?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I said.  “We actually left that night after we went to see you.  But the next morning is when it happened.  I had gone back to my house and the Directrix Guards were there, with a bomb set up next to it.”

“Kade told me about that,” he said.  “Said you ran into a few other Guards on your way to their house also.”

“I got her little sister and grandma,” Xander said.  “Kade was supposed to come back with Rayney, but they didn’t make it.”

“It took us a few days to get to the house, but we got there eventually,” I said.

“What made you leave, though?” he asked.

“The Directrix has my sister,” I said.

“Lyric?” Lysander asked.  “How did they get her?”

“No, not her,” I said.  “My other sister, Rowan.”

He sat back.  “So you found out about her?”