Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I couldn’t see anymore, but that was because of the tears that were blocking my vision.  I blinked, making them run down my face at full speed.  My breathing was ragged as I reached up to take off my vest and take my earpiece out of my ear, turning it off at the same time.  I threw them both on the ground and then reached for the two guns, throwing them aside also. 

I sat down on the ground, right next to my pile of stuff.  My hand went to my knife at my waist and I took it out.  I looked down at it and wrapped my right hand tightly around the blade.  I didn’t feel when it cut me, though.  I only saw the blood start dripping down the blade.

I dropped the knife and held up my hands to look at them.  On my right hand was the new cut, blood pooling in the palm of my hand, and on my left hand was the now light pink line from when Kade scared me and I’d cut myself on accident.  They were different in how they came to be, and yet the same.

I unzipped my jacket with my left hand and carefully took it off, trying not to get any blood on it.  I held my hand up eye-level, watching my blood move like thick water in my hand.  I tilted my hand up a little, and watched as it formed a line down my forearm.  Trailing my finger through it, I smeared it onto my skin.  Then I flattened out my hand, letting it run through my fingers and to the ground.  I didn’t know why I did it, but I trailed my bloody hand over my other arm. 

I leaned back so that I was lying on the ground and put my hand above me, watching as the blood began to for a small drip.  It got bigger and bigger until it was too heavy to stay on my hand any longer and fell, dropping onto my face.  It landed right above my left eye, right where my scar started.  I felt it trail down the side of my face, going into my hair.  Another drop of blood landed, right beside where the first one did.  It also trailed sideways down my face and into my hair.

A choked sob broke through my lips then, and I covered face with my hands.  I ran them through my hair then, not caring if I got blood in it.  I just didn’t care anymore.  I cried for what seemed like forever.  And when I finally calmed down, I put my hands beside me, closed my eyes and just lay on the ground, letting the sunlight beat down on me.

I must have been halfway asleep when I started hearing someone call my name.  And when it came nearer, I suddenly heard running, and then someone drop to the ground beside me.

“Shit, Rayney!” he said.  I felt him tapped my face a little to try and get me to respond.  “Rayney?”

I opened my eyes slowly and looking at the person above me.  “Xander?” I whispered.

“Yeah,” he said.  “What happened to you?”

“I…cut myself,” I said, raising my right hand slowly to show him.  “I didn’t mean to…”

“And I’m sure you didn’t mean to smear yourself in your own blood either,” he said, helping me sit up.  He looked at my head and ran his hand through my hair.  When he pulled back, blood was on it.  “Did you fall and hit your head?”

“No,” I said.  “When it dripped on my face, it went into my hair.  I guess running my hand through it didn’t really help either.”

“No, I guess not,” he said.

“Why didn’t you come back for me any sooner?” I asked, tears forming in my eyes.

“Well, I didn’t realize you weren’t behind us until we got to the place that Kade was talking about.  It’s this small little town that can’t have more than forty people in it.  But when I did finally realize, I came back to look for you, but I couldn’t find you as fast as I thought I would have.  I tried messaging you, but I’m guessing you didn’t get that.”  He looked at my vest, jacket, guns and earpiece lying on the ground.