Chapter Twelve: Falling Asleep To The Same Song

Aliana's POV

Aliana's POV

Ashton? I stare at the text for a second. Should I reply? I decided to reply.

Me: Hey. How did you get my number? And how are you in my contacts?!?

Ashton: I'm not telling.

Me: Secretive much?

Ashton: I like being secretive. I feel like a stealthy spy.

Me: Okay then.

Ashton: Anyways. I just wanted to tell you sorry for invading your house so much and on top of all that, holding your hand when we barely know each other.

I forgot about that.

Me: It's fine, really.

Ashton: Okay good.

Suddenly, Vicky came through the door, her eyes red and puffy. I dropped my phone on my bed.

I stood up and went over to her. "Vicky? Are you okay?"

She nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine." I pulled her towards the bed and beckoned for her to sit down. 

I knew she was feeling sad because of all the change. I didn't exactly know what it was like to go between both parents' houses. It was like having two separate families. But I could tell from her actions that she was having trouble with it.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked her.

She looked at me sideways and sighed. "I guess."

I didn't expect that answer. "Okay."

"It's just, it's so hard having two different houses, and having to switch where I live every week. It just sucks. I miss the times when I had one house, one family, one everything! I just hate it. And now there's this wedding that I didn't even know about, and it's just too much!" She put her head in her hands. I rubbed her back awkwardly.

I took my hand away. "I'm so sorry, Vicky."

She looked at me. "It's fine. I'm glad I'm not alone in all this. Well, half of it. Where's your mom now?"

"She lives somewhere in Mexico. I haven't talked to her for over two years." I stopped and looked away. I was sick of explaining the story to everyone.

"Oh. Sorry for asking."

"No! It's fine," I said immediately.

"Okay," she said quietly. I never thought Vicky had all this going on in her life. I thought she had a perfect life like every other popular girl at school. Two parents, one house. Like they all say, can't judge a book by its cover.

I changed the subject. "How are things going with Tyler?"

"Oh! Ali, I just wanted to say I'm super-sorry! I never meant to take your boyfriend!" she exclaimed desperately.