Chapter Eighteen: Mason, The New Boy

Aliana's POV

Aliana's POV

My eyes skimmed over our new classmate. It was a boy who was probably our age. His blonde hair covered his eyes as he walked to a desk.

"That desk is taken," Ryan Burg said to the boy. Ryan's friends burst into loud, obnoxious laughter as they high-fived him. The boy looked down, probably very embarrassed, and got up from the seat.

"Psst," I whispered. The boy looked up. "This seat is open." I pointed to the desk next to me that had been empty since Catherine Willows moved away two months ago. He smiled at me and took the seat.

"Thank you," he said quietly. He looked down at the desk.

"You're welcome," I said. "I'm sorry about Ryan. He can be an asshole."

The new boy just shrugged. "I'm used to it." I frowned. This boy needed a friend, and I was going to be that friend. Or try to be, at least.

"I'm Aliana, but you can call me Ali."

He seemed to smile slightly but it was hard to tell. "I'm Mason." He said it so quietly I could barely hear him, but I made out his name.

"Well, welcome to Terra Lake High School," I said. I tried to keep the mood cheerful because he obviously needed some cheering up.

He didn't say anything else so I turned towards the front and waited for Mr. Harrison to come and teach us the horrid math. I hated math so much.

"Hello, class!" Mr. Harrison burst into the classroom. Everyone got quiet and sat down. "We have a new classmate today." Mr. Harrison looked to Mason. Mason sunk down in his seat. "Mr. Chase, please come to the front."

Mason stood up and walked with his head down to the front. I heard some boys snigger, and I sent them a glare. They stopped.

"Please introduce yourself," Mr. Harrison said.

Mason took a visible breath. "I'm Mason, I'm 16, and I'm originally from Atlanta, Georgia, but I moved here for my dad's job."

"Great! Everyone say hi to Mason, please," Mr. Harrison said. Everyone said hi. "Okay, so. I need someone to show Mason around. Ali?" He looked towards me.

"Oh, um, sure." If it meant I got to skip class, I'm in.

Mr. Harrison clapped his hands together. "Thank you, Ali! Go on now." I stood up, and Mason followed me out of the classroom.

"You're lucky. You get to skip first period," I said.

He chuckled. "You do too. Is that why you said yes?"

Caught. "No! Definitely not."

"Right," he said. His tone told me that he didn't really believe me. He seemed to have come out of his shell right when we left the classroom. I couldn't blame him. I always worried I would say something stupid in front of the popular people that would make fun of you if you said anything even close to stupid.