Chapter Five: Memories Of Mother

Ashton's POV

Ashton's POV

Ali's eyes softened, and a frown took over her lips. I remembered that day clear as day. It happened so suddenly, too suddenly.

10 Years Ago...

"Why is your dad here so early?" my best friend William Knight asked me on the playground. We were currently at recess after lunch. I looked towards the parking lot to see my dad's truck parked near the entrance. I saw him get out and start walking to the front door.

"I don't know," I answered truthfully. Will and I watched as the door opened and my dad walked out with the principal.

"Uh-oh" Will said under his breath. My dad and the principal walked over to me and Will. My dad didn't look like his normal, cheerful self. He looked, well, sad.

"Ashton, you're leaving school early," Dad said once they got to us. I stared at him with confusion.

"Why?" I asked, not that I wasn't happy to be pulled from school. But something about Dad's expression told be that it wasn't something to be excited about.

Dad seemed to debate before he answered. "Well, I'll tell you in the car." I glanced at Will. He nodded, as if he was silently telling me to follow my father to the car. I looked back at Dad and followed him to the car.

After I strapped myself in, I asked Dad again why he was picking me up and taking me away from school. He didn't say anything for a couple of seconds.

"Dad?" I said. He started to blink rapidly. Was he crying?

"Well Ash, it's your mom," he said. Suddenly my heart felt heavy. What he had said felt like a hundred bricks came crashing down on me.

My dad and I knew that she had a very severe cancer, which made her stay in her hospital bed every day of the week, not able to come home and be with me and Dad. We knew that it was so severe that she could possibly die, but she had been getting better! She could almost walk all by herself now!

"Did she..." I gulped. "Die?"

"No. But she's close to it. The monitors started beeping while I was visiting her and her heart rate started going down. I didn't know what to do. But the doctors rushed in. She's on life support now and she seems to be reacting to it in a severe way. The doctors said that they don't think it's helping her. It's just making it worse." I gulped back my tears, but it didn't work. They started streaming down my cheeks anyways.

Once we were at the hospital, we rushed to Mom's room. I opened the door and walked to her bed. Her face was pale, and her eyes were closed.

"Oh Mom. Why did this have to happen to you?" I said. The tears kept streaming as I took her hand. It was cold and limp. It seemed like she was dead, but she wasn't. Not yet at least.