Chapter 1: The Concert

THIS BOOK WILL HAVE LANGUAGE
VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED

"Do you think they're gonna let us in soon Janelle?" I ask starting to become impatient.

"I'm sure Renee just calm down," she replies rolling her eyes continuing to scroll through Twitter. Janelle has always has always been sarcastic. But she has been my best friend since junior year in high school and attends UCLA thanks to a volleyball scholarship.

I received a scholarship to UCLA thanks to my 4.8 GPA and my passion for journalism. My parents disapprove of my career choice and would kill to have me go to law school. Unlike Janelle my hobbies include singing and playing a variety of musical instruments, and I hated every single lesson growing up... thanks mom.

"Oh I'm so excited to see him I've been waiting for this concert all my life! Sure they're not front row but I worked night shift, and sacrificed months worth of fast food but it is totally gonna be worth it," I say receiving another set of eye rolls from Janelle.

About 30 minutes of waiting, they finally opened up the gates. We went through security and bought our Shawn Mendes t-shirts. We take our seats and admire the venue we were sitting on a balcony one level above the main seating area and a flight of stairs connects to ground level on either side of us.

The lights dim low as multiple lights start flashing and hear special guest Charlie Puth enter the stage, "Hello Los Angeles! I'm gonna start off with my new single Attention." Roars erupt from the crowd.

...

"Thank you LA," Charlie waves to the crowd,"Now who is ready to see Shawn Mendes?" high pitched screams and chanting begins as Charlie runs off stage.

The lights dim once again as guitar slowly starts playing in the background as many voices start talking in a giant flurry all eventually speeding up until they all said Shawn Mendes. A burst of smoke and a flash of light appears as Shawn Mendes slowly appears from the middle of the stage. The stadium rumbles from all the screaming, I look over and about 2 thirteen year old girls crying in joy. I can't help but smile and sing along to "There's Nothing Holding Me Back."

Halfway through the concert, Shawn finishes Mercy and says to the crowd, "Thank you LA this concert has been so fun and exciting but I have a surprise for you guys." Everyone seems confused I turn to Janelle and give her a questioning look, she shrugs and looks back at the Canadian boy on stage. "Not only will one of you beautiful fans will be able to sing Never Be Alone with me on stage but get a meet and greet with me after the rest of the show, so I want everyone to go ahead and pull out your tickets." he continues as a large jar filled with folded papers is brought out onto the stage. Girls start screaming and pull out their tickets I pull mine out it would be a dream come true if I got to sing with THE Shawn Mendes, I didn't want to get my hopes up there are at least 25,000 girls here, maybe more.

His hand goes into the jar and pulls out a folded paper at random and opens it. The bright lights are slowly moving in a circle,"Section 19..." he says slowly.

The bright lights hit the section we were sitting in. The girls in out section scream. I turn to Janelle smiling uncontrollably, "Row 12..." he says and looks up smiling as the bright light.

"Holy shit... Janelle that is our row!" I say looking at her. I held my ticket, hands shaking uncontrollably.

"Seat... 23" Shawn says at last, smiling," Section 19, Row 12, Seat 23." The lights take a while but eventually finds that seat, my seat.

My heart stopped, I feel like I can't breath only the quickening heartbeat in my ear, this is a moment I could only dream about. Janelle shakes my arm bringing me back to reality, the light is shining on my face, I stand up and a couple tears of joy slip down my face, the world seems to go slow motion. I hand my ticket to the security man blocking the staircase from ground level. I hand my ticket to him as he escorts me to the stage. I'm given a microphone as I climb the stairs up to the stage. Shawn turns and looks at me, I can't help myself and run to jump in his arms and give him a huge hug a few more tears flow down my face.

"Hi my name is Shawn," he hugs me back a little surprised by my reaction.

"Yea I'm pretty sure I know your name," I say looking into his eyes. He smiles and I laugh.

He adjusts his guitar on his shoulder and starts to play, I shake nervously knowing I'm singing in front of thousands of girls. I take a deep breath as Shawn sings the first verse, "I promise that one day I'll be around I'll keep you save I'll keep you sound."

"Right now it's pretty crazy and I don't know how to stop or slow it down." Shawn looks at me smiles and bites his lip.

We sing the next verse in unison our voices blending together. I'm the luckiest girl in the world.

•••

We finish the song and he waves to the crowd I do the same and cheers and applause fills the building. I walk over to him as he follows me with his dark eyes. I hug him one last time and he hugs me, rubbing my back and whispers,"You did great, amazing actually, I can't wait to meet you after the show."

I smile and he winks playfully, as I begin walk towards the stage exit. I glance back around and see him staring and quickly looks away. I can't wait to get to meet him my idol, my light, Shawn Mendes.

•••

Hey guys I hope you enjoyed this first chapter of the book. I have been putting a lot of thought in the chapter and book overall anyway I hope you enjoy and stay tuned for chapter two.
-Amalia