Chapter 36

It hurts to love you but I still love you, it's just the way I feel

†††††††††††

The three of us walk into Sin's house and I'm astonished at what I see. When Sin throws a party, he goes all out-the mansion didn't even look recognizable. On the way over here I filled Jack in about the Sin situation as best as I could without mentioning all the gang-related stuff and attacks. Needless to say there were a lot of blanks and he had a lot of questions which I avoided just barely.

"Remember," Jack nudges my shoulder as we walk into the main area the party is being held at, "when you see Sin, act like he doesn't faze you in the slightest-it'll kill him."

"He's right." Faye nods vigorously.

"What did you guys assume I was gonna do anyway?" I roll my eyes, "Burst into hysterical tears and throw shrimp at him?"

"I don't know your life..." Jack shrugs and I can't help but snort.

"I see Andre..." Faye states dreamily, but suddenly her gaze narrows and her face distorts into one of disgust, "Who the hell is that chick." she grumbles before making a beeline in that direction.

"Bye to you too!" I call after her but I doubt she heard me.

"Sooo...." Jack drawls out, "Where is this fine specimen I've heard so much shit about?"

"I can't see him." I shrug as I glance around the party not recognizing anyone familiar, "I think that's...there he is oh my goodness he's looking over here!" I whisper shout and immediately spin Jack and myself around.

"Oh my..." Jack fans himself after risking a quick peek at Sin, "Does he have a twin brother who happens to be gay or bi?"

"Unfortunately the closest thing he has to a sibling is Andre." I state and rub Jack's back sympathetically, "But hey there's a ton of guys here, chances are at least a couple of them bat for the same team."

"Always the optimist." Jack states and bops my nose.

"What the hell was that?" I can't stop the laughter from escaping me.

"Marilyn?" I immediately freeze and stop all laughter as I recognize the voice. Who the hell else would it be but Sin fucking Salvatoré? I slowly turn around even though all I want to do is run away screaming.

"Sin," I greet him tersely, "Happy birthday, thanks for the invite." I try to muster a smile and that's when I realize something very odd. Sin is absolutely, completely trashed. I try to ignore his visible drunkenness and introduce Jack.

"This is Jack...I don't actually know your last name." I chuckle nervously and Jack smiles at me reassuringly as he realizes how nervous I am. He removes his grip from my arm and extends it to Sin.

"Jack Kane." he states waiting for a handshake that Sin doesn't offer in return. Sin glares at his hand in disgust as if it's beneath him and I feel like slapping the shit out of him.

"Come on Jack." I grab the hand Jack awkwardly placed back next to his side, "Let's find more hospitable people to spend our time on." I roll my eyes and start to lead Jack away.

"Marilyn, please wait." Sin grabs onto my arm and pulls me back a bit causing me to stumble, "Shit, fuck I'm so sorry." he grabs a hold of me with both hands to try and steady me.

"What do you want?" I ignore his apology, wanting to leave his presence more than anything.

"C-Can I, uh can we speak in private?" he slurs out and I shake my head at the state he's in. I've never seen him lose control like this; he just doesn't seem like the guy.