chapter 41 | damsel in distress, waiting room VI

Começar do início

I do as he says and finally, after over five hours of total and complete, armpit-soaking stress, I'm freed from my own trap by the very person I was trying to catch.

"You look exhausted," he observes.

I get out and kick the tire. "I've been up all night trying to get myself out of this catastrophe before you could find me."

"You failed, smartass!" His smile is hopelessly charming.

"I know." I stare at my shoes bashfully.

"Monday is your first day at the office. That's in two days."

I nod not looking up and into his dreamy eyes.

"You must really have a thing for me," he teases.

"It's true," I murmur.

Mocking the whole situation, he puts his hand up to his ear. "Come again?" he asks through a permanent grin.

Feeling like a shy school girl with a serious crush, I take a deep breath. "It's true, Phoenix. I've got a thing for you and it scares me to death. I'm hopelessly in love with you." With those words, my heart breaks free of any restraints. The last of my defenses against love, melt away. I'm all in. What's scary is that I have no idea what I'll do next. I'm operating on total emotion. Logic has no home in this new realm.

He takes me seriously for the first time since he saw me waving outside his door. He steps forward, closing the gap between us. His hand caresses my face as he drinks me in. "So, you feel it too?"

His pull is magnetic. I stare into the endless depths of his beautiful, dark eyes and nod.

"Want to come in?" he asks while rubbing my waist and hips.

I gulp, knowing quite possibly what could come next. I want to come in, but I know I need to take a step back and reflect. Unable to break eye contact, I let him know, "I think I'll go home."

"You're right, get some sleep." He kisses me lightly on the lips and smacks my behind before sending me on my way. "Smartass."

Relieved it's all over, I get in my car and start it. My phone rings just as I drive away from his movie set of a neighborhood. Of course, it's Mia. Now Penelope's on the other line. I click them through on a three-way.

"You won't believe what just happened to me . . . ."

_________________

Present Day

I wonder how Aya's doing. She left the clinic, still in tears. I couldn't do it if I were her. I couldn't let someone bully me into a decision that huge. I just wish she would've listened to me. One day couldn't hurt.

The nurse emerges from behind the doctor's office door. "Aria Davenport. Dr. Weiss will see you now."

I meet her at the door. "Hello," my tone is less than chipper.

"Are you alright?" the nurse asks.

"I'm fine. It's just that, Aya." I point towards the front door. "The girl that just left. It was hard for me to watch her go through that. Her boyfriend kept calling, pressuring her, giving her ultimatums, upsetting her. He pushed her to have an abortion. I just feel so bad for her."

"Yeah. Patient confidentiality. I can't discuss her condition but I didn't see any of that. If I had, I would've suggested she take some time to be sure this was what she wanted."

"That makes it even worse."

She looks down at her clipboard. "What are you here for?"

"A checkup."

She checks off a box on the form. "I see. Here we go." She leads the way.

I follow solemnly.

____________________

A/N: Hey Gals and Guys! We end chapter 41 on a "glad that's over" note. How do you feel about Aria's near "death by humiliation" experience? Please do tell! Vote, Follow & Comment. I appreciate you!