chapter 41 | damsel in distress, waiting room VI

Start from the beginning

This will do it!

Why didn't you think of this before?

Doesn't matter. Let's get this car down.

I position the jack underneath my car on the ground and crank the pump. The jack gets taller and taller and taller. Then stops. It can't go any further. It's cranked as tall as it can get, but it's not tall enough. The jack never reaches the underside of my car. It's too short.

The hope that I'll get out of this in one piece, falters.

Think!

I reverse the crank, making the jack as compact as I can get it.

Maybe! Position the jack between the rock and the car, instead of the ground and the car. Try to lift it that way.

Placing the jack between the huge boulder and my car, I crank it. The jack bridges the distance between the two. I jump for joy and continue cranking.

What a relief! Whew!

But my dancing is halted. Hold up. What's happening?

The rocky surface of the boulder makes the tiny jack slide. I can't get it stable enough to lift my car. No matter where I position it, it slips when I need it to be still. I keep trying until it's completely hopeless. Running out of options, I concede.

This will be so funny ten years from now. I promise you! Let's just laugh now. Ha, ha, ha.

Are you going crazy? Ten years from now is not now! What do I do now!?! Phoenix will find me like this! Do something!

Defeated, I look longingly at his house.

Say your last goodbyes. That's what you can do.

I know it's over when he finds me like this. I went way too far. Not trusting him. Spying on him.

Is this love or what? You're head over heels in love. An out of control hot mess.

"I love you Phoenix! I'm so sorry I couldn't be a better girlfriend." I wave goodbye at his front door and as I do, it opens!

"Oh. My. God!" I want to faint.

Phoenix steps out. He waves back. Then a puzzled expression takes over as he slowly realizes who I am and what has happened to my car. He laughs insanely loud, for a very long, embarrassing amount of time. It seems like forever.

Then something crazy happens. I join him, laughing so hard, my side hurts.

He walks across the street pointing at me, doubled over in knots. No words. Just laughter. Pure. Belly deep. Laughter. He's pointing. I'm pointing. I'm shaking my head in shame. He's shaking his in disbelief. He meets me in front of the BMW. Neither one of us can stop laughing or smiling. It's like there are wires tying the corners of our mouths tightly to our ears.

"Wow!"

"Wow. You got me! I'm caught."

"What have you gotten yourself into?" He looks from me, to the car, back to me.

I take a deep breath. "I messed up so bad, I —"

"Let me get my jack. I'll get you off this rock." He leaves and goes to his garage, returning with a monstrous super jack.

"My little rinky-dink jack is no match for that. Hell, it was no match for this!" I exclaim, pointing to the boulder.

"Alright. Step back." He motions for me to stand behind him. He positions the super jack under the car, lifting the underbody of the car, off the boulder. This allows the tire to now rest on the boulder. "Get in the car and put it in reverse," he instructs.