Deleted Scenes and Fun Facts:

In this deleted scene, there was another appearance of the woman in black. Why is it taken out? Two reasons: 1, I needed to take out an unnecessary scene from the specific chapter because it was too long and I still needed to write the cliffhanger. 2, I felt Coal didn't respond correctly to her intrusion and I couldn't figure out how I wanted it to be, and also it was back when I thought the woman was his mom. So here is small snippet of their conversation that won a spot in the deleted scenes:

"Your security system is so out of date, anyone can break in here without setting off an alarm. I expected more of Max's son, I expected a genius." She was all in black again, but this time she had the reddest red lipstick I'd ever seen.

I laughed dryly. "Yeah, well not everything is passed on to the kids." Wait... Did I just call myself stupid?

"At least your sister is smart. She's got brains in her that would leave you pitiful excuse of a Black in the dust."

Some brotherly part of me tensed up and the urge to protect someone I've never met, my twin sister, from this monster flared up inside. "You leave my sister alone."

She grinned and stepped back. "I'll do what I want with her, it's not like you can protect her." The woman stepped back to the window, pushing on the glass till the secret door popped open.

****

I had badly wanted to add this scene in the book after Marie Harrison discovered Coal's identity but before 'she' told everyone. Why did it get chopped? It didn't have a good cliffhanger and it just didn't add to the story in a plot-progressing way,

Chapter Nineteen:

"Breaking news: young journalist, Marie Harrison, has just discovered the identity of the most powerful superhero known as Flaming Spark. Ms. Harrison is here in studio with me now. Marie, we are all curious, who is Flaming Spark?"

The camera panned out to show Marie sitting next to the newscaster, wide smile tinged with revenge spread across her face. "Flaming Spark is none other than your average hot guy living in a small studio with his cat. His name is Coal Samuel Evan Maximus Black, he's eighteen years old and just graduated high school with a 3.45 GPA."

"Coal EVAN Samuel Maximus Black," I yelled at the t.v. for good measure. "Can't even get my name right, idiots."

And then a picture of me flashed on the screen. It wasn't even a recent picture, one when I was in middle school with braces and a pair of glasses too small for my face. And here I thought I left that phase of my life behind.

Wait a second. Marie just revealed my identity on t.v. with all the citizens of King City watching.

"Pickled fish sticks!" I yelled, snapping my head upright with my heart thumping hard in my chest, sweat making my skin sticky and cool, and everyone in the room turned to look at me.

By everyone in the room, I mean everyone in the Board's room. The room where every member of the Board gathers to discuss important matters, like disappearing superheroes or punishments for villains, and determine whether a new super is a villain or hero, like right now. As in this second.

Black Cobra was in the middle of the room, staring at me with wide eyes and his mouth slightly open.

Marie revealing my identity was just a dream. I fell asleep during a meeting. Besides, all she knows is my first name and she doesn't even know it's spelled differently than the normal way and she doesn't even know me.