Chapter Six: Threats Don't Scare Superheroes

My eyes snapped open, which didn't make much of a difference. Wherever I was, it was a pitch black room, which was actually nice because the headache pounding in my skull could not take any sunlight.

I couldn't tell where I was but one thing was certain, I was kidnapped. Well, I'm not really a kid anymore, so maybe mannapped. Or supernapped. One of those. Either way, as soon as I figure out where I am and my annoying headache goes away, I'll teach them a lesson about kidnapping Coal Evan Samuel Maximus Black against his will.

Despite the fact that it was useless, I squinted my eyes and looked around, hoping somehow my eyes would adjust and I could figure out what was going on. I winced when I discovered a few shafts of blinding light that filtered through a covered window. It was just enough to make me groan loudly.

"Are you awake?" someone asked me. I could hear the sound of them sitting upright and leaning forward.

I went stiff. The savages must be able to see in the dark, that or they heard me groan.

Opting for the latter, I groaned again, making it seem like I was still asleep. I felt their hand touch my shoulder, giving me a soft nudge to see if I was awake but before they could pull back, I snatched their hand with a death grip and yanked them close to me.

"Where am I?!" I shouted. I set my hand on fire so they'd know I was as serious as serious gets. I'll make them regret taking me.

"It's me, Charlie, you idiot! Why are you so paranoid?" Charlie yelled, attempting to peel my hand off.

Did Charlie kidnap me?

Confused, I made a heatless flame in my other hand and held it up to his face. Staring back at me with one angry, irritated expression was none other than my best friend. I grinned and let him go quickly.

"Oops, sorry, Charlie Brown," I said, hoping I came off as cute and innocent... Okay, my brain is scrambled, forget I ever said cute.

Charlie flipped a dim light on and by it I could see that his expression had softened. "It's okay." He leaned back into the chair and rubbed his nearly-burned wrist. "How are you feeling?"

"I have a headache."

"Well, you were knocked out when I found you. You were mumbling something about scary masks and monsters, do you remember anything about that?"

I frowned and shook my head. My brain hurt too much to use it and whatever I did remember was too hazy, still covered in a mist.

Charlie sighed. "I heard what happened, the intercom helped that much. It was something about taking me if you kept searching."

Ah. Now I remember. I was threatened, or rather Charlie was threatened. Such a pity that they wasted an otherwise lovely threat on a superhero. They must not know that superheroes are immune to threats. Okay, you caught me, we aren't immune, it just sounded cool to say.

I sat up and threw the blankets off me, now recognizing the layout of my studio as well as the familiar Batman silhouette perched at the foot of my bed. Which reminds me.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"5 P.M. The same day."

"I need to feed The Cat." I got to my feet slowly, testing to be sure that I was okay and wasn't dizzy.

"Because feeding your cat is more important than finding out who threatened your supposed best friend," Charlie grumbled, looking insulted as he folded his arms across his chest and pouted.