Chapter Thirteen: Or Else.

"You know, I wish you'd leave the poor guy alone," I said, standing between them and the open front door they were trying to escape through.

To say that my heart was pounding when their masked faces turned towards me would be an understatement. The wide curved smile reminded me of a discount clown attempting to be happy. A shiver shot down my spine.

I rolled my shoulders. "I mean, this is the second time this week that you've knocked him out and I don't think that's too good for him. Also, you're not going with your schedule. Let him go, and I promise you'll live to see another day."

I stepped closer to them and braced myself to absorb any shock they may throw my way.

"You are the one not going with our demands, Coal."

I whipped around at the sound of my name, nearly jumping out of surprise. Standing in the doorway like she owned the place, was a woman who looked both strikingly familiar but foreign at the same time.

She was a contrast to her henchmen. Tight gray leggings and a yellow top, she hardly looked like a villain. But maybe that was her point. She wore no mask, which was stranger yet. Regardless, I took the chance to memorize her plain face.

"What do you mean? I haven't been looking for WhiteStreak, have I?" I asked, shaking my head and scowling at her.

Wordlessly, she held up her phone and showed me the glowing screen. I felt all the blood drain from my head when the video played. It started with me taking a sample of Charlie's blood to my Uncle's, it skipped to me teaching Charlie how to drive, seamlessly the video switched to my apartment, where it showed me in bed asleep. It ended with a live-stream from Uncle Max's house, where he and Nathan were ignoring each other.

I bit my lip hard and attempted to act casual, at least try to mask over the fact that I was having a panic attack. I was being watched by a crazy lady.

"We've been watching you," she said, stating the obvious.

"No, really? I thought that was footage of my neighbor." My voice shook despite my sarcastic reply.

She raised her eyebrows and laughed, but not a good laugh more like a cynical-crazy-insane laugh. Nails on a chalkboard would have been a symphony compared to her laughter. "You are just like your father, arrogant, sarcastic, and stupid."

"And here I thought you were going to insult me."

She smirked and stepped closer, trailing a finger down my neck and across my shoulders, an involuntary shiver followed her sharp nail. "Tell your father to watch his back because I was never gone."

I steadied my nerves and locked my eyes with hers. "Let Charlie go."

"You're cute when you're serious," she smirked.

She nodded her head and for a moment I thought I was victorious. That moment ended quickly, as well as my consciousness, as one of her henchmen slammed their fist down onto my head and knocked me out.

****

"This is why I don't want you to be a superhero, Charlie Roberts! You're going to get yourself killed!" some random annoying woman screamed, which I eventually registered as Charlie's mom.