Chapter Seven: Party Lights.

"I'll see you in the back," Molly said once we stepped through the front door of my old house. She let go of my arm and got lost in the sizable crowd.

I would have followed her, but I was hit with a wave of nostalgia that made me pause. Even though the retro vintage carpet was gone and replaced with non-vintage hardwood flooring, it was still a blast of memories that hit me hard.

My eyes scanned the beige walls where pictures of the family were hung, old and new ones were scattered around. A lot were of Benny and Betty, mainly because Ben doesn't mind his picture being taken and they're the pride of the family. I'm sure if I wasn't so camera shy and Molly and mom actually got along better, there'd be an equal amount of pictures.

It was weird being a guest in the house I used to live in. Still, I couldn't help but smile as I weaved through the crowd of relatives that filled the living room.

"Well if it isn't my favorite nephew himself!" uncle Max said loudly. He slapped his meaty hand on my back and pulled me into a circle of relatives before I could make my getaway.

Various aunts and uncles from both sides of the family starting cooing over me, pinching my cheeks and taking selfies.

Embarrassed was not nearly a strong enough word.

I smiled awkwardly and resisted the urge to squirm out of the group. "Hey uncle Max, how are you?"

"Old," he said, laughing at his not-funny joke. His big pot belly jiggled uncontrollably and it took quite a bit of self-control to not laugh with him. "And how is Coal doing? Got a job yet?"

"Yeah, Coal- I work at the Mars Building, you know that, uncle."

"Oh! The Mars Building?" aunt Claudia asked, her unnatural green eyes grew wide with surprise. Her dress was the same sickly neon green.

Disturbed, I cocked my head and frowned. "I thought you had brown eyes, aunt Claudia?"

"Contacts! My daughter, Amelia, you know her, she's your age, got them for me! And don't try to change the subject, young man. I didn't know you work at the Mars Building? Doing what? Do you know it's been rumored that it's where the superheroes' headquarters are?"

I blinked, surprised by her explanation of her new green eyes. I shook the thought from my mind and leaned closer to my aunt with a mischievous grin. "I know. I work with them."

She gasped loudly but then slapped my shoulder softly when she saw my grin. "Oh Coal, you jokester you."

I only smiled and left their group before they could ask more direct questions because let's face it, I'm a terrible liar and if mom found out I told them I'm a banker instead of the truth, she'd scrub my mouth out with soap.

The crowd, which I had mistakenly thought was just a small dinner party, trickled out into the backyard, where lights were strung up and some soft music was playing.

"Hey Coal, glad you could make it."

I turned and found Ben decked out in a suit and tie, standing next to me with Betty hanging on his arms. "Hey Ben, how's it going?"

His smile spread across his face and Betty's deep red blush and giggle was enough to make me frown and wonder what I was missing.