Chapter 31 ~ Mist in the Dark

Start from the beginning

“Well, Mister Smith and I are gonna hit the dance floor,” Amber beamed, interlocking her fingers with Dan’s, beginning to drag him off.

“We are?” he questioned, however letting Amber drag him with goofy grins on their faces.

“Their affection for each other scares me,” Maggie shuddered, rubbing her chin as she watched them disappear into the dancing crowd. We laughed as I ushered them towards the dance floor, feeling the beat of the music pick me up and lead my body into a sway. My friends just laughed as they joined me, dancing to I can’t dance by LMFAO. Ironic, right?

Damon’s P.O.V.

“Looking hot, Damon,” Crystal purred, running her hand along the front of my tux. I forced a smile onto my face, nodding thanks. She looked up at me expectantly, almost as if she was waiting for her own compliment. Probably on the cheap fire truck red dress she was wearing that stretched from her chest down to her ankles.

“You ready to go?” I avoided, wrapping my arm around her waist and leading her out of my room and towards the garage, keeping my ears and eyes open for anymore warnings, but Ben had insured me that he would hold down the fort until I came back and would alert me immediately if there was any sign of a single rogue.

Crystal pouted as she glanced up at me from the corner of her eye, clearly annoyed I haven’t paid much attention to her. My gawd, I thought the girl was supposed to be smart! How could she not have noticed that I was using her? I figured she would’ve caught on about now. Whatever, then.

When we walked into the garage I noticed Dan’s car was gone and figured he and the girls had already headed to the dance. Great, that means less chance of seeing them, just what I need right about now. And maybe a beer.

***

The moment we arrived at the dance, Crystal and I were swarmed by either my friends, or by hers. I was about to just stomp over them to get to a freakin’ chair. I wasn’t one for attention, but Crystal clearly was and she gladly accepted every ounce of compliment and praise that was thrown at her when we walked through the doors. Eventually, I was able to push my way through them and leave Crystal to be receiving the attention she so badly wanted. However, as I made my way towards the chairs that circled decorated tables, a flash of silver caught my eye. I turned to see a slim figure swaying seductively to the music, her back to me, but it didn’t take Sherlock Holmes to find out exactly who she was. KC’s crimpled black dress outlined her body so perfectly that it actually forced a whimper from my wolf.

“About time you showed up,” Dan smirked, Amber under his arm and glaring viciously at me.

“Crystal demanded to be ‘fashionably late’,” I muttered, watching Amber’s jaw tighten, but Dan just nod.

“Girls,” Dan rolled his eyes. “I would know, I’m friends with five of them,” he chuckled, winning an elbow in the gut from Amber. They both chuckled before Dan waved me off, heading to the cluster of tables with his mate. I noticed he sat down at one of the closer tables that Danica was already sitting at, a cup in one hand.

“Excuse me, excuse me! Can I have your attention please?” I turned towards the front of the gym where a platform had been set up. Diana was at the microphone, a silver envelope in her hands. She smiled at the crowd warmly as they quieted down, the music coming to a stop. “I would like to announce the King and Queen of the Prom.”